Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loganhogan

Christmas present Child Sewatshirt Jacket

loganhogan
18 years ago

These are what I'm doing for my co-worker. She wanted something "Christmasy" for her twins and 2 nieces. 1 down and 3 to go. I cut the bands off and split the shirt down the middle. I did the decorative stitching with Wolly Nylon thread on the serger. Then I turned it wrong side up and stitched in place. I appliqued scraps into presents. I don't like the red bow, so the other jackets I'll do the bows in the center. I may have to do the "diva" one of these since I'm keeping her tomorrow and she'll see them. You know she asks and I do it, LOL.

Susan in Bama

Comments (18)

• bggs
    18 years ago

Very cool! I would never have thought of that! bggs

• glassquilt
    18 years ago

That would be a nice gift for an adult.

• gininmn
    18 years ago

So nice and Christmasy but not overstated. I love it.

• Rene54
    18 years ago

Susan, that is so cute, and you are right the Diva wants one. Rene

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I think it is perfect!!

• Shaymay
    18 years ago

That is very cute. I like the red bow on top of the package. I think it adds interest to not have all of the bows placed the same. You are a great talent and so nice of you to share.
    Shaymaym

• budster
    18 years ago

Another winner.....and I bet Diva will want a matching skirt!! So get busy!

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

Once I start making those recycled sweatshirts I don't want to quit. I like to put zippers and pockets on them for myself. I love using ultrasuade to make appliques. I frequently buy the sweatshirts at goodwill and can get really nice ones and even if they have some kind of logo on them I cover it with my decorations.
    aline

• grittymitts
    18 years ago

How cute!

Suzi

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Have you tried doing the reverse applique on them???
    I also like to do the SS as i hate to pull them over my head,and i love pockets also.

Good job on those!!
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kathi,
    Tell me more about the reverse applique? I'm thinking about doing one for myself. It got unseasonably hot here again this weekend and we've had tornados today, hard to be in the Christmas spirit when it's 80 degrees outside.
    Susan

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Susan,
    The way i do reverse aplique is this.I first decide on a pattern i want,a heart,a diamond etc.Then i take a piece of contrasting fabric,pin or baste it to the inside of the ss.Oh i should say to make the piece of fabric oversize as you can trim it up later.Then on the piece of fabric use whatever marking device you choose,chalk washout pen etc,and draw the image you want.Now sew all around the lines you drew.Turn the SS right side out and cut away the ss fabric about 1/4 " INSIDE the sewn lines.If i use a cotton fabric for the applique,i also add a piece of iron on interfacing over that to keep it from fraying when washed.

Later on when i get back i'll look for my pictures and post them to you.

Hope this makes sense to you,i'm not very good at writing directions.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kathi,
    That sounds real similar to some t-shirts that Mother did years ago and my grandmother called them cathedral windows.
    Susan

• glassquilt
    18 years ago

You can do multiply colors by layering all and cutting away to whichever one you want to see. I did a Superman logo on a costume for Halloween years ago when polyester knit was the thing. Just stacked, stitched and carefully cut next to the satin stitching

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

I like the reverse applique idea. Hey and instead of patch pockets, welted. like I said I love doing them and find it hard to quit once I get started because ther are so many idea.
    aline

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

What Susan is saying Mother & I did was make a grid of about 1" squares & sew them. We used hearts, squares, diamonds, leaves, ornaments & etc for our right side shape. The grid was sewn from the wrong side. Then the fabric was not cut completely away. It was split corner to corner in an X. The flaps of sweatshirt fabric curls back, revealing the fabric. We found some printed squares of calico that worked as they were. For leaves, we used a fall color print & drew a grid on it. Black with a bright multicolor squares was my favorite no matter shape our final design was.

• signe113
    15 years ago

did you ever see one that stacked the little xd squares to look like a little christmas tree with little bows and bells for trim? I'd love to get the pattern or a magazine maybe that had it in or maybe just some size measurements. made one long ago and girls mom later gave it away and girl still pines for it.

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I came up with what I did on my own. I haven't seen a pattern like you are talking about. Maybe somebody else here has.
    Susan

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living