Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Trying to make pattern

barb_roselover_in
14 years ago

I have a jacket which I love. I cannot find a pattern which looks like this one. Can anyone direct me to a book or something that would help me make a pattern off of this jacket and what kind of paper to use and just how to do it? Maybe a magazine article like Threads or something like that. Thank you so much for any help. I'm tired of looking. - Barb

Comments (5)

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Barb, It is not difficult. Hope the following helps.

Since we can only paste one site at a time here Try to do a google search on: Making Clothes from Existing/Finished Clothing.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/567979/diy_how_to_make_a_sewing_pattern_from.html?cat=24

Old Book check Library: Making Patterns from Finished Clothes, written by Rusty Bensussen.
    LOL if you can find it in local book store just go review the book, you can get the idea quickly.. May not need to buy the book..

For tracing you may need: Folding Cardboard Cutting board, think Dritz makes them they have Inch squares appox size 36"X68". pins, yardstick, tape measure, pencils or sharpies different colors nice, tranparent tape, shears/scissors, and Recommend one or two of the following for tracing: brown parcel wrap paper, Do Sew(like this for final trace makes a great permanent pattern, or muslin that has been washed, spray starched and pressed.
    For tracing brown wrap paper or non wovens work better for me they are wider and more durable. They hold the pencil or sharpie markings. Tissue paper is thin and unpredictable, tears easy. Please remember to put wax paper under any thing you use when using a sharpie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterns for existing clothing

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pattiohio: - Thanks so much for the info. Tried the link, but didn't get it to work. Will try the book at the library. I live in a small town and the only bookstore we had in the Mall was Waldens and they moved out. Really miss them, so-o-o- will try to stumble through my dilemma. I have never heard of Do Sew. Do they have it at JoAnn Fabrics? What are sharpies? Is it those little things with the sharp wheels? Not very knowledgeable, am I? Anyway, thanks a bundle. - Barb

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

sharpies are permanent markers.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Barb, Myrna right they are permanent markers. They have the gray end the color on the cap is the color of the marker. School supplies of most places carry them. Do not use the dry erase type they rub off..

Pattern Tracing Fabric: Do Sew looks like interfacing not fusible but it is wider, they probably have something similar at JoAnn's.
    What I like about Pattern Tracing fabrics they are woven & it is flexible.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tumbled to the Sharpies thing after I thought about it. I remember seeing a Sandra Betzina show on this but I think there isn't a book about it. Went to the library and spent the last hour trying to find another one like it because they did not have this particular book. She is going to find out if she can order it from somewhere. I'm always getting in this kind of a predicament it seems like. Couldn't find the Do Sew either although they have some kind of a pattern-making material but it is only 22 inches wide. Couldn't find the brown wrapping paper either. If I keep after it perhaps I will stumble onto something. It gives me something else to think about because the weekends without Dale are not good even though church and my church family give me a great deal of comfort. Thanks so much for your comments. - Barb

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company