Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynfromontario

Lets talk Featherweight

lynfromontario
13 years ago

A few years ago my SIL's grandmother passed away and cleaning out the house so it could be sold fell into the hands of her daughter....my SIL's mother. My daughter went over to lend a hand and came home very upset with tails of all of Grams belongings being thrown out onto her big back deck to make it easier to load it all into an industrial bin that was to be delivered the next day. I am a collector of anything Singer. I love antique sewing machines especially and have a sizable herd of them that I've been collecting since I was a teenager. When my daughter said that she even thought that there was an old sewing machine in the pile I knew that I had to get over there before everything was lost to the garbage bin. My daughter offered to go over with me and immediately pointed to a small black carrying case that she thought may have a sewing machine in it because when she picked it up it felt heavy. Up until then I hadn't heard of a Featherweight but when I saw the word Singer when I opened the case I could have jumped for joy right then and there. I since have come to realize how valuable these wonderful little machines are and how desirable they are to quilters. I sew for my grandchildren now but these days I prefer my computerized machines over the older models. They make threading a needle and making button holes so much easier but recently I pulled the Featherweight out to have a good look at it. What I found made me very happy. It is in excellent condition and sews well even though it's in dire need of a good cleaning and oiling, which I'll do in the next few days. I did a search on the internet to see if I could find out exactly what it is that I have in the way of model and I'm wondering if anyone with more knowledge about these machines can tell me how I can tell when my little beauty came off the production line. I know that it was made in Quebec here in Canada and am I right in assuming that it is a 221 model because it's not a freearm? A quick look with eyes that are starting to wear out didn't turn up a serial number like I easily find on my other older Singer models. We are getting close to retirement and will be moving to a much smaller home and I know that the herd will have to be thinned out but at this point I'm not sure that the Featherweight will be one that I will be selling. I read a post on this forum from 2006 that stated that Singer used to destroy old machines that were used as trade ins and thought that was a terrible shame when it came to this little machine.

Comments (10)

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

Congratulations on saving a family FW from a dire fate. I've had to pay real money for all of mine...

The serial number on FWs is underneath. Unless it is beige in colour, it was not made in Canada, although its motor may have been. Black 221s were only made in Elizabethport, NJ or Kilbowie, UK. All of the free-arm 222s, and the white 221s were made in Kilbowie. The beige 221s were made in either Kilbowie or St Jean, PQ.

I also collect sewing machines, although I actually sew on the old ones. I only have one machine that I purchased new, and that was over 25 yrs ago!

You can look up the model, date of commission, and place of manufacture for most Singers at the link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer Serial Numbers

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I love the Featherweight my mother gave to me. Have had it for about 33 years. I sew with it, but have never quilted.
    What an exciting treasure you have acquired!

I bought a small book with lots of info that you might want to look at. I've posted a link to the book below.
    Here is a section from the book:

"To date your Model 221 machine you should turn it over to find the serial number that's stamped into its aluminum bed casing. If you have the black-colored U.S. made machine, the serial number will start with the letter A. Following the A is another letter which I named the "series number". These are the letters you need to determine the birthdate of your U.S. made Featherweight. Similarly, if you own the British 221K or the 222K Free Arm Featherweight Convertable, you will find the letter E, or possibly a F or a J, followed by another letter - again this is the series number".

In this book, there are tables showing approximate dates of manufacturing.

Let us know if you find letters and numbers on the bed casing. Also, can you post pictures of your machine?

-Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable

• budster
    13 years ago

Lucky you, I have my 222K and at some point will probably be getting my mother's as well. If you are weeding out machines and downsizing than you just might want to keep your featherweight - if you plan on taking any crafty sewing type classes then they are just the thing to travel back and forth to classes. I also own a copy of the book laurie 2008 mentions and am very hapy with all the information it provides ... it might be a worthwhile purchase for you if you are interested. I put off buying it for a while and am so glad I finally broke down and ordered one. Can't wait to see your find. Budster

• lynfromontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses about my Featherweight. I did finally find the serial number. I had my husband take a look at it and as soon as he turned the over head light on the number was right there. I wish I had thought of that lol. The number is EH006481 which I believe gives it the manufacturing date of Dec. 18, 1951. After checking out a bunch that are posted on ebay I also found that I am missing a tray that must sit on the top of the machine when it's in the case.
    I checked Amazon.ca for the book that you mentioned and I have it on order but it is currently out of stock. They'll ship it when it comes in. I can't wait for it to arrive.
    I can definately post a picture of it but I have to admit that I got a bit of a chuckle out of your request as they all look the same to me lol.
    For anyone interested in treadles I have one in a drawing room cabinet that I bought on ebay a few years ago. In was in B.C. Canada and I had it shipped to Ontario. It is a magnificent machine. I would love to show that one off too.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

There are some differences that give a little character to them. Most are black, some are tan, some white. Some have a fancy design on the face plate (some are striated, some scrollwork). The gold trim decals can vary in design, too.

You are going to love the book. So much information and pictures, as well. At the end, they include the "instructions manual" which is very helpful.

• budster
    13 years ago

As laurie 2008 says there are some differences that you might not notice when you first glance at them. The book describes all the differences with great photos etc. It is an enjoyable read for anyone who has a machine or has an interest in the machine. I liked having the book for reference for some of the attachments - that was useful for me. As for the case, they are all different as well and your machine's box might not be the one with the tray....it was fun to go through my machine and my mom's spying the minor differences between them. They always say you can't tell a book by it's cover and I suppose we could say the same about these machines. Love to see a picture of both your machines, the treadle as well as your featherweight....lots of us own treadles here on the forum. My second reason for wanting to see your treadle is because it was shipped from here LOL. Hope you get your book soon. Mine took 2 weeks. Budster

• snotrouble
    12 years ago

I am the lucky owner of a Featherweight which I've had for many years. It was manufactured in 1948, a black machine made in St. Jean, Quebec . It says St. Johns, PQ on the machine, shows how old it is, nobody calls St. Jean by it's English name anymore. I live near St. Jean and the old Singer factory has been converted into an apartment complex for seniors.

• keepeminstitches
    12 years ago

I have three, all black, and a Johnson ruffler that sorta resembles FWs. Don't use them, but they are the stars of my sewing room. They are named Benita and Christina(after my grandmothers)and Suzanna after a dearly loved great-aunt who was a milliner (hat maker).

• luvvt
    12 years ago

I have 2 of Featherweight's predecessor, called a 666. It is the same size, but bobbin loads from the top, and it does not sew in reverse. I checked their Serial numbers, and they were both made in 1928 in New Jersey. I make braided rugs, and am constantly sewing strips together. These little machines are such a perfect fit. They have wooden covers. I LOVE them. Only thing, threading is tough because of the black color. What was with black machines?

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

66s were not the predecessors of the Featherweight. They were a full sized machine made before and concurrently with FWs. If you have ever tried to lift one, you will know that the only common features it has with FW is the Singer name, and the colour black.