Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fusible webbing advice

Posted by loomis (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 21:47

I have been commandeered to make Superhero capes for my grandson's birthday party guests.

I am still in the process of deciding which type of fabric to use. In the meantime I have downloaded various Batman, stars, lightening bolts and other symbols which I plan to appliqué to the backs.

I would like to use the type of fusible webbing which has a paper backing so that I can trace the pattern onto it, cut it out and then iron it on.

Some of the capes will also be for girls, so I may use some lightweight gold or silver fabrics for a little sparkle. For the others, I would either use fabrics from my stash or use felt.

I haven't sewn in awhile and would appreciate suggestions about which brand to use which will provide the strongest bond possible. I would greatly prefer not having to do any additional sewing to hold the pieces in place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fusible webbing advice

Your plan of attack sounds good to me. The paper-backed products are perfect for this kind of project. I usually use wonderunder brand, but there's also steam-a-seam, it comes by the yd & in pkgs, depends what your store carries.

Wonderunder comes in lite, regular & heavy weights. Maybe pick up a half yard of reg. and of heavy. Or if the girls' appliques are really lightweight, use the lite variety.
When you fuse them, use a press cloth (scrap of the same fabric would work, cut it a bit bigger than the iron shoe size, or any lightweight clean fabric you have on hand.)

After you've fused it per instructions, let it dry on the ironing board until cool, without moving it or lifting the press cloth. Then, turn it over & do the back side same as front, letting it cool. That extra minute of cooling off really helps set the fusible, IMHO. Good luck with your project, the kids will be flying around in no time!

o

I would say to also be aware how hot the iron is. Some of the slinky, sparkley, etc fabrics have a lower heat tolerance. Don't want the cape or the designs to melt or distort. So practice on scraps first. This sounds like a cute idea! You should post a picture when you have them finished.

tish

o

I went to Joanne's and the helpful clerk recommended Heat 'n Bond Ultrahold. I was working on bonding Superhero and Batman emblems together before affixing them to a polyester satiny type of material.

I agree with both of you that using a press cloth is an absolute must when working with meltable fabrics. And the advice to leave it alone to let it cool works best to allow better fusing.

I fused all types of fabrics together with great success and I thank both of you for your helpful suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here