Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

What to do with seams?

barb_roselover_in
14 years ago

I want to make a skirt out of panne velvet and I find that the material curls tremendously. Could anybody tell me what you do with your seams to make the sewing easier to do? Do you use hem tape or what? Thanks so much for any help.- Barb

Comments (5)

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Barb, You sew it like a knit fabric using a size 11 needle a stretch or ballpoint.
    You did not say if your using a regular machine or if you may have a serger. Walking foot may be useful on regular machine, pressing using a needle board or towel helpful on seam allowances, careful use press cloth..
    Handle the fabric similar to a knit, if opening the seams you can zigzag the edge of the seam allowance.
    You can use a serger to finish seams or a double row of stitching trimming close to second row of stitching.

Tip: You can lightly spray the seam allowance with a bit of spray starch or sizing on the wrong side of fabric.
    Good Luck!!

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pattiohio - How nice of you to answer my post. I have a Kenmore embroidery machine (the embroidery part was never taught to me. They did not have classes available). I do not have a serger. I would like to have one though I know nothing about them. Anyway, I was afraid that the material would stretch if I sewed a regular seam and thought maybe I would have to sew seam tape to the sides first. I will also try the spray starch idea. I have more time on my hands since my husband just passed away. I was snooping around to see if there were any other sewing forums. It seems that you have to join them--as far as I can tell. Thank you so-o-o much. By the way, have you ever made a rain hat? I am looking for a pattern. Barb

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Barb, Please accept my condolences on you loss..
    I love sharing and learning sewing techniques, sewing is a constant learning process, none of my friends sew..

Accept my apology for not reading your post as closely as I should have, was at nursing home with MIL and was typing too fast..
    Tape the seams, especially if zipper or pockets, it will give you more control and stabilize the seam, was thinking you meant binding the seams.. I usually tape shoulder seams or stress areas when sewing Panne.

I have embroidery machines, they have a few places you may try forums you may want to try they are free..
    The SewForum.com.. they may have one here on GW.

Depending how old your machine is it maybe made by Janome they may have a group online not sure..
    There are no charges for joining most of the Forums or Sites. Just keep asking questions someone will answer..

I have used sergers for years, grandparents owned a talioring business/school.. LOL they had the old ones the were like threading masts on an old ship..
    I love using them for finishing seam allowances, sewing knits, doing rolled edges on tablecloths and veils usually for family members and friends.

Rain Hats: I have found one listed below, it is the bucket type but has wider brim..
    They are not hard to make, I do a lot of charity work now that I am retired, have used this type for a few Chemo patients.
    Hope this helps..

Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Rain Hat Pattern

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Made the skirt. I will NEVER get panne belvet again. I was smart enough to only have one seam--down the back. I had such a terrible time trying to get the seams not to roll up. I put satin ribbon along each seam to hold it except the seam wants to pucker along the back seam. I let it hang for a couple of days with clothespins on the bottom to help stretch, but that did not work. Should I nip that ribbon to help it relax or take it clear off? I don't have a walking foot but did zigzag the seam. Any suggestions, Pattiohio or anybody? Thanks in advance. - Barb

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Barb,
    Did you use a ballpoint or stretch needle?
    You have to sew it like a knit.
    I usually use a 3 to a 3.5 stitch length regular stitch when sewing the actual seam allowance, know others may use a very slight zigzag.
    Was the skirt cut on the bias?
    When sewing the seam grasp both fabrics aligning seam lines to keep even, place under presser foot to anchor and tug a little on the fabric when sewing to keep the seam line even from bottom to top..
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Clear a mud. .
    If you have scraps test the stitches to see which sews the seams to suit you.
    I thought orginally you were going to add zipper and cut a basic skirt pattern with the 3 seams.
    You said you put satin ribbon that is thicker than seam tape, also stiffer. Hope others have more input..