Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Singer Touch & Sew machine as a starter model?

artemis78
15 years ago

I'm brand new to sewing (the last time I used a sewing machine was around age 10!) and have been hunting for a good starter sewing machine for a while. A number of my sewing friends swear that the older machines are much better made than what's available today, so today, I bought a Singer Touch & Sew 603E on a whim when our local reuse center happened to have one. (They had several others to choose from---a 2010 with digital controls that were flashing wildly, and several 400 series machines that all seemed to have parts missing---but I chose this one because it appeared to metal innards vs. the newer plastic ones, and seemed the most functional, missing only the needle and running with no audible/visible problems.)

So, a few questions---is the 603E a reasonable machine, and will it make a decent starter machine? I imagine I won't learn exactly what does and doesn't work on it until I get a bit more experienced at this, but was planning to take it to our local sew & vac store for a quick tutorial and some help figuring it out and replacing the needle. Just wanted to make sure this would be a good investment of time and money before doing so.

(Oh, and the machine cost $18, which all went to a local nonprofit, so it's not exactly a huge investment if it doesn't work out. If it was a poor choice, please don't be afraid to say so---I'm not too attached to it yet!)

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I have two 600's they're from 1964. One of them I bought recently as a back up for $6.00 and I don't even know if it sews, but I can use it for parts for the other if the need arises.

I sew almost every day on my 600. I have a top of the line embroidery machine and I do not like to sew on it, embroidery is fine, but for sewing I like the 600.

Look on line and see if you can find a manual. This will help you know where to oil, and where to put the lubricant on the metal gears.
    Great find!
    Susan

• budster
    15 years ago

Don't belittle yourself. You showed great knowledge in deciding against the machine with flashing controls (already that rang alarm bells) and you went with a machine with metal innards. You noticed pieces missing off the others.....so you should pat yourself on the back for getting "the best of the lot". A trip to your repair place will provide you with more information. There are alot of T&S users still out there and if you look back on this forum there have been a number of postings about the machines. Take a few moments and read through them. So far I certainly agree with Susan and say you did great. Let us know how you make out after you visit the shop. For $18.00 how can you fail? Budster who also uses a T&S for alot of everyday sewing projects.

• gram999
    15 years ago

OMG! Artemis, if you decide you want to get rid of that machine (and it works), let me know. I bought one when I was still in HS & paid $18/mo. Mine had the cams for all the decorative stitches & I paid a whopping $300+ back then. I sewed on it practically every day. That is the best machine I've ever had. I could sew upholstery fabric without a problem.

I burned up the foot pedal & decided to get a new machine. I wasn't pleased with it, but used it for a few years. One day I decided to have my Singer fixed. When I was sewing with it, my daughter came out of her room & said, "I remember that sound". After that, I had it fixed so many times that it couldn't be fixed anymore. I literally wore it out! I still have it tho. I saw on a website, but can't remember where, that people are actually collecting those machines.

Those machines lasted so long & that's why Singer went to plastic machines so they would wear out. You'll love it. I had the buttonhole attachment that made wonderful buttonholes. I haven't been able to make a good buttonhole since then now that you have to zig zag for awhile & turn back, etc.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Gram--I collect old sewing machines, although the T&S is a bit young for me. There is a Yahoo group called "Vintage Singers" that discusses how to repair and maintain old Singers. Another group "We Fix It" covers sewing machines of almost any age. I second your comments on the old cammed buttonholer, I use mine all the time.

Annie

• artemis78
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the votes of confidence, all! Took the machine in today, and it got a clean bill of health. The only tricky thing was threading it, which the woman noted was a bear on the T&S machines. She guessed at how it was supposed to go, but couldn't remember for sure so the visit was free (they usually charge a small fee for "lessons") so it was a great deal, all in all---especially given that I actually already had the threading instructions thanks to Google. (I did buy the needles and a new foot there, and didn't feel too bad since we also bought our gazillion dollar vacuum cleaner there last year!) The machine had a non-standard foot with two small holes in it; the repair place thought it might be an old version of a buttonholer, but wasn't sure (and it doesn't look like what I see called "buttonholers" online). Anyone know if that's right, or what it's for if not ? Otherwise, it only has one zigzag cam, but apparently it's "pretty much the only one I'll need" (at least until I get better at this!) so she thought I shouldn't worry about that for a while.

Thanks for all of the help!

• budster
    15 years ago

According to my book it is a special purpose foot and is used for satin stitching. Fashion discs often come up in my area thrift stores - once you recognize the disc you can tell if the ones you see in the store will fit your machine. You did good.... and now you know where to go for any maintenance....they didn't charge you so that gives me a good feeling about their service. Keep an eye out for some other cams...but you can always call your local repair places to see if they have any parts for sale. I have found some great purchases that way, they strip old machines for parts alot of the time. I always call around and save myself the gas and time......just a suggestion for when you get really into sewing - which I'm sure you will. Good luck. Budster

• gram999
    15 years ago

Anything you need for the 603 is available on ebay. The prices looked very reasonable.

Annie, I can't remember what was wrong with it, but I think I'll dig it out & see if someone else is willing to try & fix it. Maybe there is a little life left in the old girl. I'll look up the sites you suggested. Thanks.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I bought my first machine in 1967. It was a Singer Touch and Sew. I wish I still had it today! Loved, Loved that machine!! I sold it only because I was afraid it was getting old and I would eventually lose any remaining resale value I might have in it. That was 2000? or earlier. I like what I have now, but sometimes I wish I still had my old faithful Touch and Sew. It just ran and ran! I miss it, still, and regret selling it! If you have the opportunity to obtain one, have it checked out by a reputable dealer. Don't be afraid to purchase one, if you're in the market for a great old machine that will keep on going for you!

• Elise Laska
    8 years ago

But what is a 1975 Singer touch & sew Model 603E actually worth? I have 1 that I am going to sell because I am up to 6 machines & 1 serger!! I have simply run out of room. I just took it in for it's annual check up & cleaning. It runs like a dream, I just have start cutting back for space for the others. I have 2 other vintage machines that I use all the time.

• john_wagner84
    6 years ago

I purchased the Singer 603E new in 1965 after my second daughter was born. Through the years it has made drapes, valances, shower curtains, bed spreads, coats, lingerie, and many many dresses for my daughters and myself . My husband has kept it oiled, and I have never had a problem with it, nor needed to take it in for servicing. It still runs like a new machine. When I purchased this machine in 1965 it was a costly purchase, but well worth it. I have always absolutely loved it -- and still do. I would never give it up for a new machine. Every time I sit down to use it now, it brings back wonderful memories. One of my daughters wants it when I no longer use it.

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

here's the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1051876/Singer-Touch-And-Sew-603.html 

Learn to clean it, service the user-serviced areas and it should be fine for a beginner.

The fancy stitch discs can be a PITA to find and use, but as long as it will do straight and zigzag (there is a "fashion disc for it) you are going to learn a lot.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor