Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1971_gw

Your Favorite Notion/Sewing Tool

annie1971
15 years ago

I've found a notion that I wonder what I did before I found it. Sorry, I don't know the brand name, but it's a felt tipped pen that is filled with water and a few drops of some kind of solution and when it's used to mark fold lines on fabric, the fabric just folds over -- no tedious measuring, pressing, pinning, etc.

I'm wondering what wonderful gadgets you've found to make your sewing tasks an even greater pleasure.

Comments (11)

• msmarion
    15 years ago

I do alot of demim repair and hemming of jeans and just love my Jean a ma jig! I can hem a pair of jeans in 10 minutes start to finish!
    Another favorite is Purple Thang. It helps to turn color points etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check it out!

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Rotary cutter--it's a quilting tool that's largely ignored by other sewers, but makes cutting out patterns a breeze.

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

Years ago, I used a safety pin to pull elastic or ribbon through casings. A friend introduced me to a notion called a Bodkin and I could hear angels singing the first time I used it. What a pleasure!

Dianne

• donnar57
    15 years ago

These days, my right hand tool is a seam ripper....you know, as ye shall sew, so shall ye rip.

But my other most used tools: long-handled tweezers, point thingy, and my iron!

DonnaR/CA

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I also recently discovered the value of a forceps when I was trying to turn the handles on a tote bag. I was able to grip with the forceps and turn them much better than I was doing by hand.

Annie

• susie53_gw
    15 years ago

Some days it is my seam ripper... Years ago I bought a cheap elastic threader and I would hate to be without it...
    My most valuable notion is probably my needle threader. I can't thread a needle without it..

Susie

• Liddybuff
    11 years ago

I use a chopstick to turn things right side out. Of course the seam ripper is indispensible!! I also have a magnetic wand to pick up pins and other metalic things that I seem to always be dropping. Even though it isn't an actual tool it really helps me keep things together. I have posted before about using a computer keyboard tray drawer to put my portable machines on. Inside the drawer I store tons of threads and the bobbins and other acessories that go with that machine.

• jomuir
    11 years ago

this is an old thread! My favorite sewing notion is my tailors clapper. Not sold in most fabric stores any more, but what a difference it makes. I use it most every time I sew.

• mimi1947
    11 years ago

My mini iron! It is great for points, tiny seams on baby garments, applying bias tape and trims. Don't know how I got along without it all those years.

Here is a link that might be useful: clover mini iron

• donnas_gw
    10 years ago

My seam gauge!! And since I make so many mistakes, I guess I have to add my seam ripper also, not that I enjoy picking out stitches LOL.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree about the clapper...I had my husband make me one out of a 2x4 which he sanded smooth...it makes terrific creases.