Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with type of material to buy

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 19:06

I am going to need something to wear as mother of Bride next year. I have found some photos of MOB dresses on web but they seem to be made of taffeta. I would like something lighter and not as heavy. I could get something made if I knew what to look for. Can someone tell me what type of material would be nice for a long dress with a matching jacket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with type of material to buy

If you have a look at patterns, on the back of the sleeve they come in there will be a list of suggested fabrics that will work with that particular pattern to get the desired effect. As different fabrics drape and hang differently, it depends what style of dress and jacket you want (loose, or tailored for instance) as to what fabric you would use.

o

Thank you for that info. I will go out today and see what patterns there are and what the recommendations are on the package. Thankyou.

o

I've got the same problem - only I will have to have TWO MOB dresses in 2009. Seems that both of my daughters have decided to tie the knot in the same year, though a few months apart and lots of miles apart.

It seems to me that when I got married, I told my mom the colors and then she picked out her own fabric and pattern. She didn't want taffeta and I wouldn't either - taffeta reminds me of "young" and I don't want to look like the bridesmaids!

What's the colors of your daughter's wedding?

DonnaR/CA

o

Donna,
My daughter is having a black and white wedding. Wedding party in Black, maybe even short or tea lenght so that they can all use the dresses again. All white flowers.
I can pick any color I want for an October wedding. I am looking at chiffon or Georgette crepe or real silk depending on the pattern I pick. I find it hard to visualize that is why I hate to get things made.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here