Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charm41sj

Singer Quantum XL6000 - comments?

charm41sj
17 years ago

My Singer Athena has finally reached the end of the line and my husband would like to buy me a Singer Quantum XL6000. It looks wonderful, but I have not been able to find any comments from someone who actually owns and uses one. Since it is a pretty expensive machine, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Singers aren't what they used to be,so make sure you do your homework!!!!

Do you have a local sewing machine dealer?? If so,take some scraps of fabrics that you know you will be sewing on in the future,go to the dealer and test drive several machines,ask a lot of questions.See what the warranties are and what all they cover.

Have a set price in mind and don't let them bully you into something you neither need or want,just so they can make a sale.

Also check out some of the used machines.A lot of times people trade up their machines ,but the one they traded in is perfectly fine,they just wanted more bells and whistles.
    Good luck,and let us know how it goes.
    Kathi

• Rene54
    17 years ago

Why don't you post over in quilting too, I think Redpenny bought that machine recently.
    also I am with Kathi, I bought the Quantum Futura 200 and it is the most tempermental machine I have ever sewn on
    if I have something that I need to do in a hurry I go back to my old machine, Singer sure doesn't make them like they use to. Rene

• charm41sj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your comments. If Singer would not be your first choice, do you have any suggestions for another brand/model with comparable features?

• Rene54
    17 years ago

My personal choice I think would be a Viking, they seem to have built a machine that is top of the line, look at the web site for If you go through this forum you will find folks who have problems with most brands, I don't remember when I have seen a complaint for the Viking, wish I would have had a dealer, now I am sorry I didn't just buy one online.

www.husqvarnaviking.com

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Rene,
    I have the viking Rose,and while i'm ok with it now,i wish i had gotten another Bernina.When i first got my Rose it was in the shop more than i had it.It wasn't til i went on the web trying to find a solution to my problem that Husqvarna Viking somehow saw the post and contacted me and my dealer.Then my dealer finally got it fixed once and for all.In retrospect i should have contacted HV in the beginning,but being the nice person i am,LOL i was giving the dealer a chance to rectify my problem.
    HV told me to take it back to the dealer one more time and if they didn't fix it.i was to box it up and send it back to HV.
    So i guess since i got HV involved the dealer got up off his" Arse",and fixed it the way he should have in the first place.

What was happening with it was that i would sew maybe 7 to 10 stitches and it would beep at me and tell me i was out of thread,Not.

Now it's been fixed for a number of years and no more problems.I've had it since 97.

So i guess you can have problems with any machine regardless of how much you paid for them.But i will always steer clear of Singers,at least the newer ones.
    JMO
    Kathi

• Laura_IA
    17 years ago

I have the Singer XL6000 machine and LOVE it!!

I also own several vintage/antique Singers that I love to sew with, but I agree that the Singer quality may not be what it used to be with some of their newer machines. This machine is made by Juki, and it is top quality all the way. Do some checking on the features - the endless bobbin and thread exchanger are AWESOME and I believe this is the only machine to offer either of these features.

The Bernina and Viking top-of-the-line machines are also well made and have some very nice features, but they are also double the price of the XL6000.

Do some thinking about what features are important to you, and compare them all. And remember that machine embroidery is an expensive hobby, with threads, stabilizers, software, etc. The price of the machine is only the very beginning of the $$ you will spend :)

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

The Quantum is on sale for $2499 and is computer dependent for some things. If you go to the Singer.com website, it will explain everything the machine does.

The only bad thing about Viking Husqvarna is it's proprietarily expensive and no other after-market foot will fit a Viking. It's the only thing that kept me away from Husqvarna.

I have a Singer CE-200 and haven't had a problem with it outside of buttonholes, my Kenmore does a much better buttonhole. It can be tempermental at times just like any other machine.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Laura,please explain the endless bobbin,and thread exchanger.I've never heard of them.Sounds interesting!!
    Thanks
    Kathi

• Laura_IA
    17 years ago

Kathi-
    I'll try. I'm better at talking than typing, so hopefully you'll understand this. LOL!

Endless bobbin: The machine has a special bobbin feature that allows you to put a whole spool of bobbin fill in a little compartment in the bottom of the machine. While you are embroidering, if you run out of bobbin thread, the machine stops embroidering, winds thread from the spool onto the bobbin and then continues embroidering, so you never have to do anything. As long as you have a spool present, it will automatically do this.

Thread exchanger:
    There is an attachment at the top back of the machine that you put your first 2 colors of thread on. When you start embroidering, you set it to go to the second color automatically. AFter it finishes the first color, it rewinds the thread out of the needle onto the spool, threads the second color itself and starts embroidering again automatically. Then you can add the 3rd color where the first one was, and it will change from the second position back to the first, etc. If you keep changing the spools, it will keep switching back and forth, always rewinding and automatically threading the next color. If you DON'T want to do that, you can always change them automatically as well.

As far as what stitch said about it being computer dependent for some things - I don't have mine hooked up to a computer. I know some of the other models have to have your designs sent my cable from the computer, but the XL6000 can use a smart media card as well, which is what I use. It's MUCH faster to write the designs to a card than it is to use the cable, so that's what I do. I've never even opened the cable that came with my machine. Of course, I already had Embird and a card reader/writer, so that's what I'm most comfortable with.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Thank Laura,you did good!!! That was very easy to understand.I stay clear of sewing machine stores,and also fabric stores for the most part these days as i'm trying to put a dent into what i already have and don't want to get tempted.Aren't i a good girl??? LOL
    Thanks again
    Kathi

• redpenny
    17 years ago

I own a Singer Quantum XL6000 and I love it.I also have mine connected to the computer and I love it I also have
    Embird and a card reader/writer...........I love the Endless bobbin and the Thread exchanger and the continous hoop feature I did not buy mine in a store I bought mine online I have bought all my machines online I own 5 with no problems..................when I wanted to buy the Singer Quantum XL6000 I looked around I went to a Singer Dealer and the price was too high plus THEY DID NOT GIVE FREE LESSONS they gave a discount $35.00 bucks per lesson yea right!Also here is a link to the Singer Quantum XL6000 yahoo site they are very helpful!
    Good Luck in what ever you decided.
    Red

Here is a link that might be useful: help group

• tayeosh_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello All,

I am an accountant who tried to get into sewing. Bought the XL6000 machine but could not get to use it. Been with me for a while now.

Is anyone interested in buying it off me?

Guaranteed you will get a good deal.