Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarhlfan

Please recommend scissors

tarhlfan
14 years ago

Can anyone give a few suggestions of a good pair of sewing scissors? I have not sewn in yrs. & can't find mine. guess I'll have to purchase a new pair & have no idea what kind to get. I have a small pr. I have used over the yrs. for mending, buttons, etc. Need a regular size pair. Thx

Comments (8)

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Would recommend Fiskars and the sharpener..
    I prefer the ones with lock on handle.

I have Ginghers and Wiss, but only place to take to sharpen is Sewing Machine dealer and he sends them out..

Think they are on sale at JoAnn's this week or use a coupon they have online..

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Gingher shears are the best IMO. You can purchase them at Joann Fabs, with a coupon or on sale. I have wasted a lot of money on scissors.

Here is a link that might be useful: mine

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I love the Gingher scissors the best.......have used them for years.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

The real trick ... use them only for fabric.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Exactly lazygardens:

Sharpness is the key and nothing dulls scissors like cutting paper with them.

I've been sewing a long time. The first scissors I bought were expensive ones. I admit they lasted a long time but had to be taken in for sharpening occasionally and that cost money.

Then I bought mid priced ones from my fabric shop and usually on sale, so they ended up being rather cheap. I took along a scrap of fabric to try them out but they were usually good. The next time they were on sale I bought another pair. When one pair started getting dull I'd downgrade it to another job and look for the next sale. This way I always had a nice pair of sharp scissors, and a spare. A small bit of colored tape on the pivot screw denoted my sewing scissors and lord help the person who used them for anything else. They stayed in my sewing cabinet so that was not usually a problem.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Myrna, LOL I have a mini "crime scene tape (ribbon)" a friend embroidered.
    Certain fabrics also can dull scissors, like fleece, some polyesters and tulle.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

While i agree about the Ginghers,Kai also makes very good scissors,or at least they used to.I have a pair of Kai that are well over 20 years old and they have never been sharpened,and believe me they have cut everything there is to cut,paper,yarn,quilt batting,etc,and they remain very sharp,my BF also has a pair as we got them at the same time and she's never had hers sharpened either.

Another reason i like them better than gingher is because they are lightweight like the fiskars.
    Like i said,mine are old,so i don't know if the ones they make today are as good.
    Kathi

• jomuir
    14 years ago

I like Kai best. High quality and I agree with Kathi that they cut everything without needing sharpening. I discovered them a few years ago at a sewing expo, not sure if you can get them retail, they do have a website.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!