Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adjusting position of zipper

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 18:14

The problem I'm having is that when I alter a pair of pants that requires an adjustment in the zipper seam I can't get it to lie flat near the foot of the zipper. It seems to bunch up. I have a zipper attachment for my featherweight but the bottom of the zipper is always a problem for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adjusting position of zipper

Are you saying you have taken the zipper out and are putting it back? If that is the case, you should be working from the end of the zipper up to the waistband. Idon't fully understand your problem, but I've sewn for over 60 yrs, and did alterations for the public for 15 plus yrs & all zippers are sewn from the bottom up. Are you altering the crotch area w/o removing the zipper? I am just too dense to understand your problem. Sorry. Would be most happy to offer advice if I knew what to advise.

o

I'm taking the zipper out from the bottom to about half way up just so I can take in the side seam a little around the hips. I guess I don't know how to get to sew near the foot of the zipper. the zipper foot can't get past the bump on the bottom. (where the teeth come together)

o

I watched a video on You Tube and saw that I have to use a different foot to the base of the zipper. I'm not sure which foot to use. I have a Featherweight machine.

o

I'm still confused...is the zipper in the side seam?

o

Yes, I think I understand now--you've adjusted the side seam and now you need to re-sew the zipper that you unstitched part way up. You say you are using a Featherweight and zipper foot. I don't think the machine will let you move the needle position, will it? Therefore, you should be able to move the Z foot to one side or other of the needle. Start by pressing your new seam to lie flat. If it is a 'lapped' app., stitch the under first, then stitch on the outside to the bottom and across. You don't have to go across exactly at the zippers 'bump', just below it. If your zipper is one of the invisible kind--they install completely different and you will have to remove and it will stitch from the top down. I believe I've done the best I can w/o seeing. I welcome criticism.LOL

o

In this sort of situation I often cheat and hand sew using a back stitch that looks like machine sewing :-)

o

Well. 'Whatever works' works for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here