Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyedog

fabric is printed off grain

skyedog
13 years ago

I'm making drapes and my fabric is printed off grain. It wasn't very noticeable on the first couple of panels but as I went down the bolt is got worse.

What are my options? The print is large (20" repeat) with lots of open spaces so I'm not constantly lining it up. Do I just match up the print and let the curtains hang however? Do I go with the grain and blow off matching it up?

I can't return the fabric since I've cut into it and I do love the print (It is discontinued too) so I've got to make it work.

Thanks,

Comments (4)

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Skyedog, your drapes will never hang straight if they are off-grain. Go with the grain if you are making pleated, full, long drapes.

Perhaps you can try to make the seams fall at the back of the folds of the pleats where the mismatch will be less noticeable. If the pattern is large and obvious, though, the pattern will slant downward slightly from side to side over the width of the drapes, so consider also raising each successive panel of the mismatches slightly at each seam so the horizontal pattern will not appear to slant down over the expanse of the drapes. That will be more noticeable than the mismatched seams will be.

Good luck. I'm betting the drapes will be beautiful.

Sherry

• lizzie2
    13 years ago

You can try to get the material back on grain. You and a friend pull on the fabric on the diagonal and pull hard; then check. I had a 4-Her with the same problem. Another advisor and I pulled it back on grain. It may take a few tries but it is possible

• shadylady2u
    13 years ago

Squaring the fabric only works if it's a woven fabric. If it was printed, it may not work or may spring back.
    If it's off by 3/4" or less, I'd cut with the print. Over that, you need to cut with the grain.
    If you have extra yardage, you can make your cuts larger and try to match up somewhat. Otherwise, I'd do what Shermann says.

• skyedog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input and support. So far it's not been too bad. For one thing he print isn't printed slanted, it's just the second horizontal repeat is off by up to one and a half inches. The first couple of panels are not a problem, it just starts to creep after a while. And the fabric itself is great to work with, no slipping and surprising durable as I have been manhandling it to try out different option. I have a lot of extra yardage (decided against the valance and the company I bought it from added about 10% extra to the order) so I don't have to try to squeeze in a solution.

I've done some test panels sewn together and have been hanging them with clips from my sewing room rods and so far so good. I think everything is going to be OK. Thanks!