Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

chemo cap

Joan Dupuis
11 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has a pattern they are willing to share for a chemo cap/scarf for someone losing their hair due to chemo, or suggestion for a pattern to buy. Something I can sew as opposed to knit or crochet. My first treatment is Nov 22nd and the Dr. did say I would definitely lose my hair.

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry you will have to go through that...

You can find some sewing instructions here and here.

Don't know if you are familiar with meditation or not, but you may want to explore it as others have found it helpful for dealing with treatments.
    meditation as complementary therapy. It can't hurt, and it can help.

My thoughts are with you for an easy and successful go of it. I'm sending my best courage, strength and serenity thoughts your way.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info and your well wishes. I will check these out.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ended up buying a pattern after they went on sale. Here are a couple of the hats I made as well as a knit chemo wig. The yarn for the chemo wigs comes in several colors, so I picked up a few funky colors and made some to donate to the pediatrics section for children with hair loss. Oh darn, forgot I could only post 1 pic at a time. Others to follow.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a burgendy one made with a fine cordoroy fabric.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Great job! Your knit one looks very similar to the one I made for Mom when she was getting her radiation treatments....Hope you are doing well.

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

Looking good, Lady!! There was a lady at the grocery I shop at that always looked great in her head gear.. Stand tall and proud it will be over soon.. I've been down this road and I can tell you it will be wonderful again.. Life will look brighter then you ever thought it would be..

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Gosh i havn't been over here in a long time,guess i'll have to play catchup!!

Let me first say i'm sorry you had to join this sisterhood,but keep positive thoughts,it will be over before you know it.

I like all those hats you made.I and my friends made all of mine.I sewed mine,but my friends knitted and crocheted the ones they gave me.I don't know how to do either of those things.

Will send out prayers and good thoughts for you.Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
    Kathi

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Wishing you the best and your hats look great!

Sue

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the hats and the well wishes. I'm at the 1/2 way mark for chemo, then they say radiation is a breeze.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my latest hat. I donated 4 of the chemo wigs to the adult unit and 3 to the children's unit. The adults were all regular hair colors, but the ones for the children were 2 purple and 1 electric blue.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Well done! Like the scarf embellishment.

How are you feeling? Are you done with chemo yet and into the radiation?

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie. One more chemo on Feb 14th and the last on March 7th. Then I wait a month before the radiation starts. I get 4 weeks of that, 5 days a week, but I hear most people say it doesn't make you feel sick, just tired. While they give me chemo, they also give me a protein drip through IV that I continue every 3 weeks for a year. Hopefully my hair will start growing back by summer. I am so sick and tired of wearing something on my head.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Hang tough. Radiation is quick and painless, except for the fatigue. Be kind to yourself and remember, this too shall pass.
    Sending healing, courage, and strength your way.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

If you are a knitter there is a wonderful turban pattern free at
    elann.com
    They also sell the special cotton/elastic yarn which you use to knit these.
    I've made dozens to donate to our local hospital.

• caroline94535
    11 years ago

Your hats are lovely; I love the "hair" one.

You are even more lovely. Hang in there and keep smiling!

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area