Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make a quick/easy colorful fabric robe

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:00

I have a school project to have the kids make a colorful robe like the one in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". We have like 1/2 hour to put it together, and none of us have the time or ability to sew. Any advice on how we can do this? I'm happy to buy something at a craft store if I knew what to buy! Obviously the final result doesn't have to look good, the real focus of the project is working together, but I still ideally would like to come up with some kind of colorful robe at the end.

I was thinking maybe something with velcro? Or fabric glue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make a quick/easy colorful fabric robe

How tall are the kids, shoulder to floor? Say they are 3 feet...then buy 2 yds of polar fleece per child, then fold the piece in half so you have a doubled rectangle that is 1 yd long. Cut a neck hole ... A semi circle...in the center of the fold through both layers of fabric. Then cut a slit through just the top layer from the neck hole to the edge. You now have a robe with open sides. If necessary, you can cut the sides in to fit the length go the child's arms better...or it may be fine.

Buy some cording to use as a belt to wrap around the waist to hold the robe shut.

The beauty of polar fleece is it will not ravel.

If you want to get more complicated, you can buy some fabric glue to glue the side seams shut, but not all the way up so there is room for the arms to go through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here