Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

how to find someone to make custom bedding, etc.

rmkitchen
16 years ago

Well, I guess I misunderstood the upholsterer we've been using: I could have sworn he said that yes, he makes duvet covers, shams, bedskirts, etc. But when I took my two toddlers and my list of what I want (to help me figure out yardage) to his shop, he put down his cigarette and coffee and told me "nope, I don't make any bedding." And he doesn't recommend anyone either.

And now I'm stumped. I live in Boulder, Colorado and going through the yellow pages has thus far proven fruitless. I don't know a single person who has things custom-made (it was a miracle I found the upholsterer!), so I'm out of luck for personal recommendations. I googled "custom pillow shams duvet covers" (because I don't mind sending the fabric somewhere else to have it made) and came up with some (well, two) online sources but they don't do all I want, and I don't believe they'd do the level of detail I want (e.g., I want a decorative pillow using three fabrics: one on each side with the third as the welting).

Does anyone have any tips for how to find a seamster / seamstress who will make what I want to my specifications? I'd honestly make these things myself if I could, but I know my limitations (and stress capacity!). As it is, I've already decided I'll make the cafe curtains and upholster the headboard but that's where both my abilities and tolerance for frustration will run out. I have to be a sane mother!

This is what I want made:

-twin box-pleat bedskirt

-king box-pleat bedskirt

-Euro square pillow sham w/flange

-standard pillow sham w/flange

-decorative pillow (the three-fabric one I described above)

-neckroll

-bolster (using two fabrics)

Thank you for any and all advice! I really appreciate it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!