Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Singer sewing machine on its last needle LOL

Posted by phyllis_philodendron (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 17:06

I have a Singer 5050C sewing machine that I'm trying to quilt with and it's ready to die. I realize that's a lot of consecutive stitching that it probably can't handle, but I have oiled it before (although not the motor) and even had it serviced a while back and it was worse than ever. It's slower than molasses, even when sewing garments.

I want something that's not to crazy in price but can obviously do mostly garment sewing with the occasional quilt. I looked at Berninas and crap, the accessory feet could be as much as nearly $70! I know I could go used, but wonder the feasibility of trying to get the other one fixed or what - and what brands are better than others. Although I've been sewing for years, I don't know much about the inner workings/technical specs of sewing machines. I would like something with accessory feet and a buttonhole feature that actually works, but all the decorative stitches aren't really necessary.

I had an old Singer Touch 'n Sew before and had quilted on that, and the motor never gave me problems. I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Singer sewing machine on its last needle LOL

So, you need straight stitches and maybe a zig-zag? I'd go vintage if I were you.

Annie

o

Do any of them do button holes - or can you still often find button hole accessories?

Any good vintage brands to consider?

o

You can still get button hole attachments for them, although you do have find them used. Ebay usually has several at any given time. Singer's always a safe way to go in truly old machines (1950 or earlier.)

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here