Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis_philodendron

Singer sewing machine on its last needle LOL

I have a Singer 5050C sewing machine that I'm trying to quilt with and it's ready to die. I realize that's a lot of consecutive stitching that it probably can't handle, but I have oiled it before (although not the motor) and even had it serviced a while back and it was worse than ever. It's slower than molasses, even when sewing garments.

I want something that's not to crazy in price but can obviously do mostly garment sewing with the occasional quilt. I looked at Berninas and crap, the accessory feet could be as much as nearly $70! I know I could go used, but wonder the feasibility of trying to get the other one fixed or what - and what brands are better than others. Although I've been sewing for years, I don't know much about the inner workings/technical specs of sewing machines. I would like something with accessory feet and a buttonhole feature that actually works, but all the decorative stitches aren't really necessary.

I had an old Singer Touch 'n Sew before and had quilted on that, and the motor never gave me problems. I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to!

Comments (6)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

So, you need straight stitches and maybe a zig-zag? I'd go vintage if I were you.

Annie

• phyllis_philodendron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do any of them do button holes - or can you still often find button hole accessories?

Any good vintage brands to consider?

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

You can still get button hole attachments for them, although you do have find them used. Ebay usually has several at any given time. Singer's always a safe way to go in truly old machines (1950 or earlier.)

Annie

• Elba Garcia
    2 years ago

Hello. Could you sell me the discs that are used for the different stitches, I lost mine and I can't find them.

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

If your machine is running slow it could be that the foot control needs servicing or replacing or that the carbon brushes on the motor are worn and in need of replacing.

Replacing carbon brushes is not unusual and I have done it myself with different motors, including my Bernina.

A new foot control will run somewhere about $30 and the brushes should be about $15. The brushes are easy enough to change yourself if you are at all inclined to do such. I order from an online source.

I would shy away from any modern Singer and look to some of the others makes. Singer has allowed that name to be slapped on many totally unworthy machines. It carries a lot marketing weight.

The old Singers from way back when were good machines. That is no longer true.

Keep it simple with a mechanical model. That is the only way I roll anymore. Why complicate life? I seriously doubt that many people even use the decorative stitches on their machine very often,whether the machine is mechanical or computerized.. After a lifetime of sewing I know that I have seldom employed that feature on any machine that I have used. I have never found them to be very attractive or useful. Good solid function is the best thing to have.

Good luck. It has become difficult to buy some things right now.

If you like your machine and dont really want a new one, you might consider the possibility that it is one of those factors that is causing it to run sluggish. Both are relatively inexpensive to fix. You can always buy and try a new foot control.

If you are not mechanically inclined you might not want to change the brushes yourself. It is not difficult but can seem to be daunting if you are not of that mind. Vacuums also have these carbon brushes as do power hand tools and fan motors.

Have you noticed any black dust around the motor on your machine, or any sparking around the motor? That is an indication that the carbon brushes are wearing down. It looks like the motor is behind those little vents on the inside of your sewing area.

Oiling won't help with either of those problems. It is likely sluggish because it is not getting enough power to turn the motor. If something were preventing the hand wheel from turning or a belt was loose, that would be obvious. It sounds as if the motor is not getting the power it needs and is very likely to be either the carbon brushes or the controller.

Of course it could be the capacitor on the motor, but that is also easy to change.

Parts are not terribly difficult to find. The expensive part is usually the time and labor. You are paying for the knowledge and experience and the tool belt of the service person, as expected if you employ them to fix it.

• PRO
    Sewing Crafter
    2 years ago

What brands or models worked best for you? The ancient Singer machine that was left to me by my stepfather finally died and it's much too expensive to repair. I'm an advanced beginner-intermediate skill level. I will be using the machine mainly for minor mending and making home decorating items, such as curtains, slipcovers and pillows.

singer sewing machine for beginners