Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sewing machine for granddaughter

Posted by lsvandyck (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 16:34

My almost-10-year-old granddaughter has asked for a sewing machine and lessons (provided by me) for Christmas. It's been so long since i've bought a machine that i don't know where to begin. First - under $100.00 as that's what i spend on each grandchild. I have a 1973 Bernina that still works great, but that brand is out of my price range. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sewing machine for granddaughter

Check into what was said under the posting "Sewing machine for 13 year old." That has lots of good advice. Budster who wishes you luck on your search.

o

Check your local sewing machine dealers for used machines. The Used Machine stock at my dealer is variable (depends on what's been traded in that he considers good enough to resell), but I've often found sturdy brand-name macnines in the $100 price range. They tend to be older machines in good working order, but perfectly servicable.

Your dealer may offer free "how to use a sewing machine lessons", even with a used machine. One dealer I worked with would teach children as young as your granddaughter as long as the child was accompanied by an adult. Ask your dealer what his or her policy is.

CMC

o

Thank you to both of you - good suggestions!! I'll post what I end up getting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here