Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas gifts

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 15:41

I'll post this here since the embroidery forum seems to be about machine embroidery.

This year I am making hand embroidered kitchen towels, sometimes called "tea towels." Some are linen and some are cotton; a couple were bought finished and the others were bought as toweling yardage. I find the outline stitch embroidery to be very relaxing and something I can do in the evenings while watching tv or a DVD movie.

first two towels

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

one of a set of two

second of the set of two

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas gifts - more info

I meant to add that I used Sulky 12 wt. thread (on a spool), a size 8 embroidery needle, and a small wood hoop to do this embroidery. The Sulky thread gives a finer line and doesn't tangle up as badly as the regular DMC floss. I like the look of the 12 wt. thread very much.

o
RE: Christmas gifts

What beautiful hand work you do. Can I be on your Christmas list? LOL The butterflies are my favorites!
Hope everyone that receives them appreciates and enjoys them.

o

How lovely! Are they your own designs?

o

Thank you for sharing your embroidered towels, they are lovely. It is so much more fun to use special towels.

o

Very nice stitching. You made me smile as I just picked up a whole roll of cloth with the idea of doing some "Ukrainian style" embroidery on it. It is very pricey to purchase when you can find it and the labor to do it is quite intensive as you have to deal with counting out stitches (basically a counted cross stitch) to make very wide bands of pattern. I've done a small cloth a few years back and enjoyed it so when I found an unopened tube of cloth at the local thrift, I decided to do more. Sometimes it is nice to switch to something different but still in the stiching line. Thanks for adding this subject.

o

The dolphin and seahorse designs I purchased at a quilt show. The vendor had examples done using the 12 wt. thread and I liked the look of it very much, so I bought a bag kit that had those designs. My sister has a beach house so those will be for her.

There are many sites on the internet that offer free embroidery patterns. Here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern Bee free stuff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here