Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnip_nc

Janome Sewist 500

catnip_nc
13 years ago

I tried searching the forum but got no results for this machine. Does anyone have any experience with it? My well- loved and often used 40 year old Singer died yesterday and I am faced with the daunting task of buying a new machine. I need something that sews well on heavy fabric, but also does well on lighter basic sewing. Not particularly interested in electronic models or a lot of fancy stitches. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Comments (7)

• mielemaid
    13 years ago

I'm not a sewer again yet, but I've been doing a LOT of research on machines. When I phoned a nearby Janome dealer today she told me that even the least expensive Janome ($249) does what you say it does, thick fabrics & thin ones without changing the needle. Also, Janome's are not made in China, they are made in Taiwan I think, but she said that Japanese Janome people are working on the machines in Thailand - dunno if that is true, but it's what she told me.

I'm sorry about your Singer, I would probably sell it on ebay since Vintage USA made, metal parts Singers are worth a lot of money, even if they don't work.....

• mielemaid
    13 years ago

Catnip, I put in Janome - as I'm leaning towards it, and I found this site with some videos of the Janome 500 Sewist. This machine looks awesome and affordable.

Janome Sewist 500 with videos

• catnip_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mielemaid - I saw those videos and actually tested the machine in a local store. Loved it. Ordered it! And can't wait for it to get here so I can start sewing again.

• mielemaid
    13 years ago

Catnip - I'm so excited for you!!!

I want to show this other video of the Janome, made by the same people from youtube, the Janome Sewist 500 actually does this serger stitch, ie, to prevent frayed ends.

Serger Stitch to prevent frayed ends

and then this one, for stretchy fabrics

Janome stretch stitches

This machine looks really awesome, and for a great price too. I'm still researching machines, but today talking to a facebook straight male friend who sews, I showed him links to this machine and he was really impressed. He has a Singer and dislikes it a lot.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Catnip, my Singers from 1978 went to the repair shop yesterday! I'm worried sick they won't be able to fix them.

May I ask what model your Singer is? I have two identical Singer Touchtronic 2001s, both bought used in 1979, I think. One was my mother's, mine Mom bought and gave me way back then. Both machines have been well-used - between us, I think we've made thousands of garments, pillows, coats, etc.

Anyway, I hope you have great success with your new machine.

• catnip_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherrmann - my Singer was a Touch and Sew 620, purchased in 1964. It has been repaired in the past but this time the gears (which are a hard plastic material) were just worn out! I hope yours will be OK.

I love the new machine so far. Sews well on heavy and light weight fabrics, and really is easier to use than the old one.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Thanks, catnip. Glad you like your new machine. Alas, I am in the market; neither of my machines can be repaired. I've been to two repair shops, so I guess it's true. I'm bummed, and frankly, I don't know what to do with myself! I'll take a look at the kind you bought in a day or two.