Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fl_gypsy

Question regarding attaching sequins & rhinstones

fl_gypsy
15 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and need some help. I want to create a dragon made out of sequins and beads on a shirt for my niece (probably Velvet, not sure yet). What is the best way to attach these items? If this is not the correct forum, which one should I post this on? Thanx.

Comments (3)

• theturtlelady
    15 years ago

If your beads are strung, you need a "pearls and piping" foot with either an open middle or a big tunnel-like hump that will allow the beaded string to pass. You couch them on with a zigzag stitch. Use a width that doesn't show on either side of the string of beads and the zigs and zags should fall in between the beads and catch the string (which you'll either have to stitch down or knot underneath at the beginning and end. You can use a similar technique with strung sequins and might consider a metallic thread since the stitching will show more. The only way I know to attach individual beads or sequins is by hand.

I might get a piece of sequined fabric and make a dragon applique, then bead in details and save half the work. You can sew over the sequins, just be sure to have a sharp needle that will pierce the sequin and go slowly and carefully.

I hope that was helpful.

• fl_gypsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you turtlelady. Your suggestion to use the sequined fabric is a good one. I think I even have some blue remnants left....probably enough for an applique. Even if I use that I will still have a few individual sequins to fasten on. I guess my question should have read "how do you attach individual sequins?". I've never attached individual sequins and don't know how to attach them without threads showing.

I stated beads in my original post.......I meant rhinestones. I will be glueing the rhinestones on and someone suggested also glueing the sequins. Does this work well and if so what is the best type glue to use..........for sequins and rhinstones. Thanx so much for any suggestions.

• bonnie-w
    15 years ago

Hi Gypsy: The way to sew on individual sequins is with a seed bead. It's a tiny bead with a hole in it. Bring the needle up from the under side, pick up a sequin with the needle and thread it on. You then pick up a seed bead with the needle (in the hole) then take the needle back down thru the hole in the sequin and back into the fabric.
    It is a slow process but looks great and they stay on well.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Sponsored
Samantha Friedman Interior Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Washington DC Metro Interior Designer Best of Houzz Service & Design