Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Touch n Sew not catching thread!

Posted by ErinBeth (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 11:58

I have a gold Touch n Sew, model 603, that has been causing me a lot of headache! I'm fairly new to sewing so I am not doing very complicated things, usually just straight stitching on simple shapes and patterns. If I'm not using cotton, then it won't sew right! I use knits a lot and its a nightmare. It won't catch the bobbin thread all the time and it leaves irregular stitches or none at all. I've used the material for my projects on two other machines (70's singer and elna lotus) with no problem! I always thought I was bad at sewing, but now I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my T&S!

The bobbin area is pretty clean. I always use a scrap piece to try different settings and nothing really works. I've completely cleaned the machine per the manual as well as re-threading the bobbin millions of times. It's been completely serviced a few months ago and was told it works well. I don't want to just give this machine up since it was my grandmothers.

Any suggestions before I take it back to the repairman?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Touch n Sew not catching thread!

Have you checked to see if you have the needle in the correct way??,and is it threaded correctly.I had the 640 many years ago and it looks a lot like yours.Check your feed dogs,they should be in the up position.If memory serves me correctly the feed dogs are lowered and raised by that handle on the bottom right.

Thread it up and let us see a picture of it threaded.Also check to see if the bobbin is in correctly.

I'll come back to this post later to see if you solved the problem.
Kathi

o
RE: Touch n Sew not catching thread!

As well as making sure the needle is in correctly (it varies with the machine, so read the manual) ....

If you sew knits, get a selection of "ball point" needles. They work far better for knits than ordinary ones.

Toss the old needle and insert a new one. They can get so dull they don't work right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here