Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing Machine for Beginner & Dealers

Posted by blessednative (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 11:12

I was reading all the comments on the best machine for a beginner. I'm hoping to get my first machine this Christmas. I wanted to know where I could find a "dealer" to by from, do you have any suggestions? I feel that this may be my best option instead of purchasing from wal-mart since I have never used a sewing machine.

Thanks,

Kasey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing Machine for Beginner & Dealers

Look in your local Yellow Pages under "Sewing Machines". You'll most likely find several dealers.

You want a dealer you feel comfortable with. Call and talk with them. Be up front about not knowing how to sew. Most dealers will offer free lessons for the machine you buy - you definitely want that.

You need a very basic machine to start with. Tell them that, too. You don't need to be oversold on a machine.

o

Look in your phone book under sewing machines. Most dealers only sell 1 or 2 brands so make the rounds and try some out.

First look on line under makers names and see the features of different machines.

A good basic machine should have about 8-or more basic stitches and the same in stretch stitches, a built in buttonholer and 2 nice features to look for are needle up-down and a fix button but these last are not a necessity just nice to have. There are other features too like embroidery stitches.

Yes you are better off dealing with a dealer because most will offer a free sewing lesson to familiarize yourself with the machine.

o

Also check, and get in writing if possible, the various dealer trade-in policies. Some dealers offer 100% of the cost of your old machine towards an upgraded model within a certain time period - up to a year in some cases, whereas others only give a partial credit. This could become important if you really catch the sewing bug and outgrow your machine more quickly than anticipated ;-)

It might also be worthwhile to ask the dealers about older models that others have traded-in. You can often get some great deals that way.

Be aware that machines may be sold under more than one brand name with only minimal differences.

Janome and Elna are owned by the same parent company, as are Brother and Babylock. They often sell essentially identical machines under both brand names and you may be able to get a better bargain and/or service from one dealer than the other. Viking/Pfaff/Singer have the same parent company but less direct model equivalency.

o

I am going to suggest that you go to the "Creative Sewing and Quilt Convention" near you. They have a website.
I have been going to ours in Mpls for years. You can see all the sewing machines in one place, sew on them, talk to the educator/demonstrator. These gals/guys have a good background in sewing and are very helpful. Sometimes when you go to a dealer in your area you are talking to someone who is there to sell you a machine and with limited knowledge. Only the repair person can tell you which ones will give you the least amount of trouble. I have been around this "business" all my life and recommend you ask other sewers where they go for service....you really have to find someone you can trust and will talk "straight" with you and has been a survivor because of their good reputation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here