Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grittymitts

Who is making...

grittymitts
16 years ago

Just wondering who is making what for whom for Christmas?

Suzi

Comments (10)

• sheesh
    16 years ago

I'm thinking about robes and pjs for my three GDs (two four-year-olds and a three-year-old) and baseball pjs for my six and seven-month old GSs. But first I have to finish a wool coat for my daughter! What about you?

• grittymitts
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have several things planned but it all had to be put away to make space for Thanksgiving guests & I can't seem get back in the mood. Ah, for a room a room strictly for sewing!

Satin pillow cases for friend who likes to "preserve" hair-do, Victorian Pin Cushions for a couple of others, robes for GS's, cell phone cases, fancy scissor holders & a throw for Sis, who's always cold. Nothing nearly as ambitious as what you're doing.
    Lazy Suzi

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I am making those sleep shirts that I posted about a week or so ago...they basically look like scrubs but only longer...right at the knee cap or just above...I'm making them out of fleece for a morning coverup...I'm making the boys out of camo colored fleece..

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Sherman,before you delve into making those PJ's,you may want to check out buying them.I got some very nice ones today at walmart for my GK'S.3 piece sets for only 9.42.I don't think you can make them for that much once you factor in your time,the shopping for the fabrics and the sewing.I know i can't.I got one GS the cars pj's 2 shirts,and 1 pr pants.Don't remember right now what the others were,but i know they were worth it.

As for me i' making my almost 3 year old GGD a quilted blanket with a satin back.She has one she's had since she was a wee baby,but it's far too short to cover her completely.So i'm hoping this one will replace it.

Also going to make that casserole carrier for my DIL,some kleenex pouches,and couple of wallets.

Kathi

• sheesh
    16 years ago

I know, I know. But I have lots of fabric from my mom's sewing days, plus a lot I've just never used, so that's why I'm going to sew them. And I love to sew.

In my secret heart, it makes me sad that I can buy them so much cheaper than make them. I'm finding the same is becoming true for cooking - ready made is cheaper, often even better than some things I make, and quick! I'm just an old dinosaur.

Sherry

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Well in that case,ok then!! LOL,LOL.I also have an awful lot of fabric,just not the PJ kind.I've always sewn a lot and for 10 years i worked in a fabric store,and not the junky fabrics.The alexander Henrys,the hoffman's etc,and i never came home with a paycheck.

Too bad you don't live closer,i'd share my stash with you.
    Kathi

• susie53_gw
    16 years ago

I am making pj's for the grandkids, too. I hit a super sale on flannel at Johanns. They had some cute kids prints on clearance for $2.00 a yard. Then they ran a half off sale. I bought extra for next winter, too. The pattern was only $.99. Cheap pj's.. Nice heavy flannel, too.

Also I am making a cute tent for Barbie for the grandaughters. A camo one for grandson. Also making cute sleeping bags for the dolls, dolly blanket, too. I saw the tent at a craft sale for $24.00. I need 4 of them so no way was I going to buy them. Came home, jumped online and found the pattern and now I am on my way.. Nice thing about them is they fold flat when they aren't playing with them.

I also make and paint wooden ornaments for the kids to put in their stockings. Fun, fun...

• jagladyla
    16 years ago

I usually lurk and not post but I am excited I get to make things for Christmas.
    I just retired and started back to what I love.
    I am making 2 rag quilts to make comforters for youngest GC. Pillowcases to match. Also aprons for my Son and his wife. Pj's and gowns, Table runners with Thanksgiving on one side and Christmas on the other. I am hoping to throw in some small purses for all the neices I have but I also am a little behind so I will wait and see.

• good36
    16 years ago

susie
    Can you give me that site for the tent please?
    Sound like something great for the kids.
    Thanks
    Judy

• susie53_gw
    16 years ago

I just goggled Barbie Tent and found it. Also it is available on pattern.com McCalls 2225.. Under the crafts..