Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for machine embroidery?

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 7:47

I have committed (or should be committed) to make a veil for an upcoming wedding. The bride wants a cathedral length veil but with some designs near the bottom with some beads and sequence.

I can either hand embroider or machine embroider. I don't have one of the fancy embroidery machines, but would have to do free hand embroidery on the machine. I've never done it before. Are there any tips and tricks I should know about??? Also, the veil she saw that she liked was embroidered in silver colored thread...is this something I can use in a machine? I figured then I could use invisible thread to attach the beads on top of the base.

Otherwise, I suppose I can revert to hand embroidery....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for machine embroidery?

Cathedral length is the longest kind of veil, correct?
I wish I could help you, but have no embroidery experience.
Since this post has been up for a while, I was wondering what you decided to do.

Any pictures? When is the wedding?

Laurie

o

Yes cathedral is the longest. Her train is 22" and the veil will be on the floor beyond her train.

I have been busy practicing hand embroidery, hand beading, playing with stick on and sew on crystals, machine applique, and free hand machine embroidery to create my own monogram to attach to the veil. I chip away at it when I can, but holiday stuff is now interfering. Fortunately she's not getting married until July, so I have some time.

I largely have a design and a plan of action, and I think I have most of the materials....I have some more experimenting to do with threads and such and then I will be ready to start the real veil. So progress is being made....

Thanks for asking!

o

I learned to do free motion embroidery on the machine long before all those fancy embroidery machines came out.MY BFF and i took classes at the bernina dealers shop for 8 weeks,that was back in 83,i havn't done it for a long time now.
Kathi

o

FYI...Annie is moving right along with her veil. She has posted some pix and you can see over on the "Embroidery" page....read her progress. She has been very persistent about doing this. I love her spunk.

o

Thanks dancingirl. I never even knew there was an embroidery forum.

You are right...her dedication to this project is inspiring and the pics now have me hooked...I need to see more progress pics...and the final veil : )

Kudos to you for helping her along the way. This veil will be a family heirloom passed down for generations. Way to go Annie!

o

Laurie! Thx, and now you've found the embroidery page. Too much of my time is spent here...but I love forums. I think they're a wonderful source of knowledge--just reading how someone else "did" it.

o

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll post an update on the embroidery thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here