Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raggedy Ann/Andy

Posted by laVerneMaynard7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 6:20

I'm making Raggedy Ann & Andy for a friend for Christmas. Any helpful ideas out there? I usually just sew quilts and mend. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raggedy Ann/Andy

Over the years I have made many cloth-bodied dolls. What I see most often that takes away from a doll's look is how well it is stuffed. Please make sure you stuff them well and try to avoid lumps that show. I have found that using a chopstick works well in the areas that are hard to put your hand into. I made the 12" pair and they had some rather tiny areas to work with. They are well worth the time and effort to make and I know the person receiving them will be thrilled.

o

Thanks Liddy! I'll do my best with the stuffing. I started to use some quilt batting I had, but I bought regular stuffing; I'm too new at this to improvise.
I got Ann finished, haven't decided whether to tackle Andy...

o

I also have sewn several raggedy ann/andy dolls over the years,as well as other cloth dolls/animals etc.One hint that i found that works real well is to put fusible interfacing on those parts like the face or anyplace where a nice smooth finish is required.It gives more body to the fabric,and the stuffing looks much better.I've also been sewing over 50 years.
HTH
Kathi

o

Thanks Kathi. The first one turned out okay, not great. I'm working on the second one now. Since I learned a lot about hair by going online and improvising some, I may make a few more. I know I'm not going to use that cardboard way for hair that my pattern shows. I'd be hauled off to a psych unit! I did make some cute hair with yarn tho. There are so many yarns to choose from! This is definitely learn as I go, but I have a cute doll at the end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here