Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

Scissor fiasco

User
17 years ago

I have scissors everywhere as a result of growing up and hearing my mother asking daily, "Where are my scissors?"

In the pencil jar, in the junk drawer, in my paintbrush can, in the garage. Fabric scissors in my sewing box. Good scissors, everyday scissors. The common thread--all but my fabric scissors are getting very, very dull.

No problem, I own a Dremel tool. The booklet says I can use it to sharpen scissors. So I gather all the scissors in the house (except my good ones) and follow the directions in the booklet. The booklet lies. I call in the tool expert, DH can't do it either.

Off they all go in a paper bag to the hardware store for a professional sharpening job. They return--unusable. Now not a single pair will cut; they merely bend the paper.

They're all still in the bag while I ponder my next move. What ever happened to the knife-sharpening man who drove through the neighborhoods--the women would bring out the knives and scissors and he sharpened them on the spot?

What do I do with dull scissors except replace them all?

Comments (19)

• holly2305
    17 years ago

This won't help the ones you have now, but.....
    When I was in JoAnn's a while back I saw the girls at the cutting table were all using the plastic handled Fiskar's and they also had a square plastic "scissor-sharpener" that they used. When I inquired they pointed me to the rack of scissors and there was the same sharpener made by Fiskars----for under $10.00, I believe. I was skeptical at first, but I used the thing many times and it works. (not the way to go with your $$$$ Ginghers, but for the Fiskars it is fine) Very easy to use, stick the scissors in the slot, "cut" 3-4 times and bingo!!!

• shadylady2u
    17 years ago

I don't think the hardware store is the place to go to have sewing scissors professionally sharpened. Joann's does have someone come in to sharpen them every so often, but from what I hear, they won't do much better than the hardware store. Next time you get your hair cut, ask your hairdresser where she/he gets their's sharpened, and there's your answer.

• shadylady2u
    17 years ago

One more thing, with good scissors, you can usually send them in to the company (Gingher's for one) to get them sharpened, also.

• xstpenguin
    17 years ago

I was just about to say 'ask a hairdresser' and somebody beat me to it!

I'd be fuming if that was me, first thing I'd do is take them all back to the shop and demand some sort of redress from the manager. A bad job of sharpening should mean 'less than razor perfect' not completely unusable!

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers,
    AJ

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

We have a knife store at our local mall and they sharpen scissors there.So i'd say look for a knife sharpening place and take them there.
    Kathi

• FlamingO in AR
    17 years ago

I use the Gingher stone that I bought when I got my scissors, works great on them. You only sharpen one of the blades.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the moral support. Good thing I'm not suicidal--nothing sharp enough left in the house (just kidding).

They're all going back to the hardware store Saturday AM for a refund and to show the owner what happened.

Thanks for the hairdresser tip, I'm due for a trim anyway. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, DH bought 2 pair at the dollar store to replenish my scissor stash.

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

I think your husband is on to something. Household shears, go to the dollar store.

I once had to cut my dad's hair in the hospital with a pair of kitchen shears...it was the only ones mom could find. They worked fine, dad was happy with the haircut.

• pathfinder81601
    17 years ago

I feel your pain!!!! I was a professional interior design seamstress for 30+ years and needed to keep several pairs of sharp scissors on hand at all times. A new pair of Fiskars from WalMart is cheaper, more convenient to acquire and lasts longer than professional sharpening. After a few years of being constantly disappointed with professional sharpening, I just bought new Fiskars from WalMart as I needed them. Stopped the budget from bleeding! And I always had lots of 'old scissors' when we did crafts at Sunday school or for Christmas decorating with a group of friends. If you go this route, be sure to put a catchy new label on new ones so they don't get mixed in with the dull ones. Permanent markers and gold paint pens always come in handy for that. Good luck!

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

I have an electric knife/scissor sharpener...I love the way it works...After the kids have "killed" my scissors by cutting paper and cardboard..I run them through the sharpener a few times and they slice right through the fabric again...

And then I have one pair that no one is allowed to use on anything other than fabric.

patti

• needle_babe
    17 years ago

I'm a Fiskar Babe myself... you can't get my spring-loaded-cushy-handled sissors and snips away from me no matter what the trade is. And the little sharpener they sell works pretty good. I use it to get extra useful life from my old pair. never have a problem with denim, leather, upholstry, etc.

Give that hardware store some heck. I'll bet you they never even touched the bag. If you ever take them in again, place a small piece of tape on on of the blades - you'll know when you get the back if they were opened and sharpened by the condition of the tape.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Needle_babe, they were definately sharpened (or it was attempted). My husband stood there and watched the clerk use the grinder. I haven't had the time to bring them back yet. We've been dealing with this family-owned store for over 25 years.

I'll have to look into the Fiskars sharpener for the future. In the meantime, those Dollar store scissors work pretty well.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Mine go to the greatest sewing machine mechanic in the world every 6 mos.. I have close to a dozen pair of scissors; embroidery scissors, cutwork scissors, points, dressmaker shears, 10" and 12" canvas shears, and the inevitable "snips" every production stitcher knows and loves. ;) You name 'em, I probably have 'em! (even have BANDAGE scissors from a long deceased great-aunt who was a nurse).

The key to maintaining a nice edge is to use the shears for the purpose for which they were intended. I hang mine on the same pegboard that holds my rulers, curves, and standards.

Many years ago, I discovered the helpmeet cutting up a stewing chicken with my coating shears... he remarked they were "really sharp". I siezed them, washed them, and icily told him, "NEVER use MY shears again, EVER!". He never has, lol. (never touches my measuring equipment, either!). They're the tools of my trade... keepa you hands off. :)

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chelone--I've tried your technique with MY tools. My husband and sons must, between them, own over 6 million dollars in tools. I could supply Sears if they ever run short. Yet, when they need a phillips head screwdriver they open MY tiny tool drawer and reach for MY screwdriver. Know why? It's convenient and it's always where it belongs.

Grrrrrr.

• keepeminstitches
    17 years ago

I hang all my scissors on a magnetic knife holder that I bought in a kitchen/linen supply store. It's a strip that is screwed into the wall right above the serger on my sewing cabinet. Very convenient. My metal bodkin and embroidery tweezers stick to it, too.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Get a storage box with a LOCK!

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

After catching one of my sons using my Ginghers to cut paper, I kept my Gingher scissors hidden in the box they came in. As "bait", I kept the cheap plastic scissors - always out conveniently. Now that I'm enjoying an empty nest, I think I'll get one of those magnetic strips for all of my scissors.

I also use the Gingher stone to keep them sharp.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Woodworking equipment shops have folks who can sharpen scissors very well!! I'm not too sure what the connection is, but that is where I take mine!!

• msmarion
    16 years ago

There is a saw sharpening shop across the street from my business. I wouldn't think of letting them sharpen my scissors. I take them to the fabric store to be sharpened when the scissor man comes.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!