Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockandroller_gw

Help!! totally new to sewing

rockandroller
12 years ago

Just moved out to the country, and need to sew draperies and clothing! Bought a Kenmore machine, ( http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md-limited-edition-17-stitch-sewing-machine/620-000018598-16765 - got it on sale) but havent opened the box yet. Next trip into town, we'll need to buy some thread, don't have any clue what to use for what... I'm guessing nylon thread for the draperies (medium-heavy cotton plaids) and 'jeans thread' for hemming jeans (saw some today at the local wal-mart) - but whats the story with "general-purpose thread" (polyester coated polyester)?? Is regular cotton thread any good for use in a sewing machine? I seem to recall you have to use certain needles for certain tasks... pretty fuzzy about the details!! Gonna crack open the box tomorrow and read the manual, but my wife has never sewn before and I haven't ever done it either - I watched my Mom do it now and then on her Bernina (30-40 years back!).

All advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Comments (5)

• clt3
    12 years ago

I use general purpose thread for draperies, not nylon. Here's a site that will explain sewing machine needles, types and sizes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Schmetz needles

• jomuir
    12 years ago

agree w/clt3, and the chart is a handy one, I have it printed out in my sewing room and refer to it when in doubt.

Nylon/uph. thread is so strong that it can actually tear fabric. Always match your thread to your fabric. Cotton I usually use for quilting, not clothes. Worked in a drapery workroom many moons ago, we used gen purpose thread for almost everything. Uph. thread for tufting cushions only IIRC.

Good luck with your new machine and life in the country!

PS If you can get your hands on your mom's old Bernina, I'll gladly take it off her hands lol. Those were some real workhorses.

• rockandroller
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the excellent advice :-)

PS : is there a special kind of marker or pencil for marking lines on fabric? ( for cutting...)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Yes,in the notions dept of wal mart or any fabric store there are several marking pens and pencils.Make sure you read the directions on them before using.Most wash out with water BUT whatever you do don't iron over the pen markings or get them near heat(sunlight etc as that will set the colors and they won't wash out.

You may want to buy one called Marks be gone,by dritz,and they also have some Marks Be Gone tracing paper as well.If you use the paper you'll need a tracing wheel,also found in the notions dept.

Do not buy that cheap thread that some stores sell for 5/1.00,it's nothing but fuzzy junk.

Also if you are going to make drapes,make sure if it's a print you get enough to match the print,ask the clerk what the pattern repeat is.Also most drapery fabrics are treated with scotchguard,so they should be dry cleaned.

Also go to your library and see if they have the Singer sewing for the home book,or the Sunset making draperies book.If they do,those are both good resources.
    Good luck and happy sewing.
    Kathi

PS Measure twice,cut once!!!!!!!

• jomuir
    12 years ago

More good advice from kathi above also.

One other thing I thought of is to consult youtube, it's got a huge amount of videos, and I've sewed for yrs, but still learn things off youtube videos.