Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing trim on sheer panels?

Posted by sharon_fl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 0:13

I am making canopy- like panels for my granddaughter's 'Cinderella' room. These will be draping from a center crown and swagging over to the bedposts. Will also be making the panels for her 1 window as well.
My question is: I want to add some sort of trim onto the edges of these panels..beading, tassle fringe-whatever. I am not a 'seasoned sewer' but can get along okay. My machine is new-BUt not with all of the 'bells & whistles'. How do I go about adding this trim? What should I be aware of? Do I need something like bias tape on the underside? Will the material gather all up on me when I sew on the trim? More tension or less tension & how many stitches per inch should I use?
I paid $11 a yd at Joann's for this gorgeous baby pink sheer polyester that has tiny iridescent sequins sewn in it somehow. Not tacky and are well adhered to the material.
Thanks for your inputs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing trim on sheer panels?

Hi there,
I just finished sheer voile panels (big ones) for my guest room. I set my machine at a medium sized stitch, and a narrow zig-zag and put boullion fringe on the leading edges and the bottom. I used my regular zig-zag foot and went gently and carefully down the lip edge of the fringe. I then reset for a straight, looser stitch and went down the fringe edge. I kept the fabric taut under the fringe and everything seemed to go well with no bunching or gathering. I DID however cut the selvage off the fabric and made a 1" hem on the outer sides of each panel. The hem at the bottom was 3". HTH...email me if you need more info, or if you think I can make this clearer.
Use the normal format...I'm just trying to avoid spam:
jbmusik at yahoo dot com

o

Well now..THAT makes sense! So kind of you to help me 'see the light' about this. How about thread-any special type I should use for this sheer material? Thanks.

o

I always use the Gutermann thread for everything, so I can't comment on anything else. My OLD plain jane sewing machine won't work with Coats and Clark....don't know what it's problem is, but it is notional about other things too!!! I guess we are both just grumpy old ladies!!:^) You got some good ideas about glue too, but I have learned through experience that sometimes glues get me into sticky situations!!!;^) Especially with big amounts of fabric involved!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here