Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to sew velcro and failing!

Posted by oldalgebra (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 22:38

I'm having a terrible time trying to sew the loop side of velcro to a sleeping bag. I've never been able to get my machine to sew the looped side, but in the past, I've had so little to sew, that I've always done it by hand. Now I have yards and yards to do.
Can anyone tell me why I get such a tangled mess and if there is anything I can do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to sew velcro and failing!

When I sew velcro I use the zipper foot. Can you move the needle position left and right? If so use the zipper foot and move it left or right and sew along the edge were there are no loops. Take your time and it should be fine.

Bonnie

o

The trick is to NOT sew thru the loop part of the velcro. If you look closely you will see that on each side of the loops there is a narrow edge that is smooth. That is what you sew on. Go slow and stay on the smooth part and it will work for you.
Kathy G in MI

o

Also, I'd use a new, heavy duty needle (probably a size 18).

o

Everyone,
Thank you so much. I did exactly as you suggested: sewed on the edges, went VERY slowly, and used a heavy-duty needle.
It was important for me to be able to do this, as I was helping to repair a friend's sleeping bag. He has done several "man jobs" for us (plumbing, etc.), and I wanted to be able to return the favor.
Again, thank you for taking the time to type up your suggestions.

o

Just don't try to sew sticky velcro,what a mess you'll have if you do.
Kathi

o

Hi
I have always used a regular needle 90/14. If you use velcro again check the package first. It may say for sew on velcro but some have sticky stuff on the back. You DO NOT want any sticky at all.

o

The fusible velcro is very nice, albeit a bit pricey. It really bonds to the fabric well, somehow it melds into it and becomes permanent. Just a little FYI, I know you got your job done, congrats!

o

Flamingo,
Thanks! I'd never heard of fusible velcro until your post. From now on, it's the stuff for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here