Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap Dress Form

Posted by seasonsofwither (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 22:31

Hey everyone,

I've been looking high and low all over for an affordable dress form/mannequin (under the $100 price range) and found this one for $39 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120627911725
(Item # 120627911725)

It works very nice & I use it for display at craft fairs/shows all over to display dresses, aprons and scarves that I make. It can be taken apart for easy transport.

Is anyone else using this one?

Thanks

Tabitha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap Dress Form

I remember when my sister came out of the service in the late 40's she went to design school in Chicago and one of their first projects was to make a dress form. They wrapped themelves up in cheescloth and had a family member paste (glue (licky tape) brown tape all over them Then they had to wait until the glue paper dried and then someone slit it down the back nd they removed it. It was a perfect dress form.

Just thought I'd mention it !!!True story

o

Something similar is the 'duct tape dress form'...

Here is a link that might be useful: duct tape dress form

o

Minnie, it's still being done!

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3633/paper-tape-dress-form

o

Just got back and looked at the links I can still see my sister waiting for the tape to dry so she could get cut out of it!!! I tcan't remember how she stood it on end. I think there was some kind of coat hanger stand !!

o

Looked at some of the links to making these...looks like torture garment....would be kind of nice to have one though....many times I wished I had one just to not have to undress and try to pin myself- or not pin myself...lol

o

Just remember if you use the paper tape...Most people have hair dryers now. That should speed the process along a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here