Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Tips for making scallops on a valance professional looking!

Janice
16 years ago

Hi, I'm new on this forum! Been at the GW for several years but have mostly haunted the hosta forum.

I'm trying to come up with a look in our bedroom with valances that will complement the rest of the room.

I'm thinking I will do the Photo-shopped mock-up below!

I'm concerned that making the scallops smoothe on the curves will be very challenging!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments (7)

• leatherdeb419
    16 years ago

This is very easy. Sew the face fabric and linings right sides together. Mark the scallop sewing line on the lining fabric. Before you turn right side out, make a scissor slit at the "point" between each scallop. Press with iron after turning. It'll be flat!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, thank you for such a quick response!! You make it sound so easy!
    I don't need to clip around the curves to the seam line? I was afraid that was
    what I'd need to do and then it could look less than smoothe when turned!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW--I do not have a pattern for this idea so I'm really challenged to make it come together as I envision.
    My largest window, as I said is 7 ft. with a 5 inch return on either side. I'm thinking I will need to make
    the scallops 14 inches across! And, I'm also thinking I will need maybe 7 complete scallops on the outside
    plaid part, which should give it some very slight gathering.

Has anyone done anything like this without a pattern before?

• bonnie-w
    16 years ago

I would suggest that you buy a pattern to do this. Look at Simplicity or McCall, you will most likely find what you want and they are not that expensive. I think you will be more happy with the finished valance if you do. Also you do not want a "slight gathering" with that style, they are meant to be flat across and if you are using a plaid fabric make sure you match the it.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bonnie--I would gladly purchase a pattern but I can't find one exactly like I want to do.
    I'm mostly concerned about the scallops being adequate for the length of the panels.

I've seen some pre-made scalloped versions that have just a tad of fullness, but I suspect it's
    because the rod expanse isn't quite long enough to accomodate it. I do agree, it will be
    better if I can make these have no fullness. I'm even thinking I may need to come up with something
    at the corner of the rods to pull the panel taut!

Here's a link to the closest thing to what I'm hoping to make, and they call it a bell-flounce.
    I could make the contrasting scallops using the pattern they provide IF it will work to lengthen
    just like I want. It would be the clickable View B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell Valance

• acanuck
    16 years ago

Hi there,

I have never used a pattern for draperies. Go have a mooch in your basement for some old wrapping paper and use the backside of it to draft your pattern.
    It is sturdy enough to take some erasing and yet easily enough to pin through to use as a pattern or template.

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Acanuck--I'm working on the valances now--and I made a template from some poster-board type material and it's going well. I made the valance for the smaller window first and have discovered it actually looks better slightly gathered on the rod so I will use that one for the smallest of the three windows and will redo--that window tomorrow.

It's going well--hubby figured out the size of scallop I needed (mathematically) and it came to 13-11/16"! I decided to make the yellow scallops hang down slightly less than the plaid face fabric and I like that look really well!

Pics. when I'm done!!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County