Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4boys_gw

Are these industrial machines worth anything??

momto4boys
16 years ago

Hey everyone. I've never been to this forum, but I frequent the home decorating forum, and a couple others. And I thought I may be able to get a little help from you guys here. :)

We sort of inherited these machines a few yrs ago when my in-laws moved across the country. They had a sewing business for several yrs. When they moved, they didn't want to bother with shipping these, as they didn't intend to use them any more. And told us if we could sell them, we could keep the money. Well, not knowing a THING about them..we sort of just put them in storage and forgot about them.

We've had them for 3 yrs, I think. Maybe 4? (Too many kids, I've lost track of all sense of time, lol)

Anyways, we're getting ready to clear out our storage so we can get rid of the monthly payment.

These are pictures my dh took of them while they were still at his parent's house a few yrs back. I really can't say for sure what condition they're in now. I know they run on some kind of oil or something, and sitting there that long can't be good for them :(

Again, I know nothing about these things. Or what most of them are. The books are all with them, so I could later find out more detail to sell.

I think there are a couple sewing machines, a serger, some button hole making thing, lol. Again...clueless!

I'm just wanting some advice on if these should go right to the dump, put in a yard sale for $25 a piece. Or if I could try to get something more out of them.

Thank so much for any help here. I appreciate it!

Tritia

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

Are you anywhere near Oklahoma?

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right next door. We're in Arkansas.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Before you do anything check ebay. And ask your in-laws for advice, such as who repaired the machines for them. That person should be able to offer some price range.
    Advice from my dad when selling anything start high you can always come down. Don't give those babies away.

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

If one is a Reece Buttonhole machine and not too expensive, I know someone that may be interested.
    caroldumasallen@icqmail.com

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've got someone who seems to really know her stuff on the home decorating board. So, hopefully I can get rid of these things.
    Thanks for your input.
    msmarion, I definitly agree with starting high. Just don't want to scare any one away, lol.

Sooner, I'll keep your email handy. I do have someone that wants the button hole machine that my mother knows. But, I'm telling her this wk she needs to either make an offer, or hopefully I can get a good figure for her. If she doesn't want it, I'll get back with you. Thanks!!

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Wish you were here in S.Calif,i'd take at least one of them off your hands.

Looks like you have a buttonholer,an overlock and a couple of regular type sewing machines.

What a haul,wish they were mine.

Just for comparison,i do some heavy duty sewing for my sons motorcycle shop sometimes and he rents a machine for me to use,to the tune of 200.00 for 3 mos.

While i think you an sell them,i also think you'll have to have patience doing so,as not everyone needs that type,or will be willing to pay what they are worth,provided they work.

Make sure if you put them in the paper that you say they are industrial machines,and do a little research so you know what you are talking about when the calls start to come in.Good Luck,and let us know how it goes.
    Kathi

• dizzyhal68
    16 years ago

Hello I would be willing to bring any one you choose to original working order, in exchange for the others,
    I dont think that the oil had laquer or varnish in the oil
    if it did it will take a lot of work to get them running
    correctly,up to 6 months if that frozen varnish has things locked up,will the handwheel turn any or hard to turn,then thats trouble.
    I repair machines and sell to provide funds for Seniors in this area who only have their S.S. to live on if you know anyone who has a machine that is not working, ask them to Email me, Please. Harold gldnagr@otelco .net

• fiberflinger
    16 years ago

I live in Southeast Missouri and am looking for something that can sew leather. Are any of these a "walking foot" machine?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiber Fling

• terrie2
    16 years ago

Don't give 'em away too cheap, lol! The table that the Brother machine is sitting in is worth $250 alone. If the machine works you should be able to get $600 to $800 for it along with the table and motor. The serger should go for $700 and up. A friend just paid $500, which was a wonderful deal. They run around $1,500 and up for new;) The 5th picture down looks like a button machine -- Sews on buttons. (I used to use one in a men's store, doing alterations.) They're pricey too, but not as commonly used so I'm not sure what it'd be worth.
    Find out where your in'laws had them serviced and have them gone over. They can probably tell you what they're worth too. Industrial machines are real workhorses which last 30 to forty years at least so they hold their value pretty well. Too bad you're not in Arizona, lol;)

• mineemee
    16 years ago

a sewer's dream come true. I say don't give any away for less than $300. You should set them up to be used as well.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!