Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kafey

I got a new machine and love it!!

kafey
15 years ago

OK, so I already had three machines: my great aunt's 1935 White (complete with several feet) built in cabinet in the basement, a 15 yr old Singer from a big box store in the closet, and my son lent me his ebay find, a vintage Pfaff 332 that is a work horse; but none of them could stich smoothly without having thread throw-up, etc.

So, wanting to make some gifts for Christmas, I decide a new machine is in order. Of course I have already finished all the draperies, pillows, etc for the house...which is why I probably feel frustrated enough to want a new machine! I heard that it is best to go to a local shop to insure service/training afterwards. DH joins me on this adventure (all of two miles from our house) where I anticipate getting a good quality machine, maybe even spend $600! Well, an afternoon at the "shoppe", hours of research, and back to the shop the next day, I ended up with a Bernina beauty with a 9mm stich width! I almost got the 440QE because of the BSR free hand quilting foot, but loved the 9mm (which also came with the BSR foot and several other items that DH loved negotiating.)

I've had it less than a week, but first I sewed all the various stiches, then made a little eye pillow, and it is so easy to use, quiet, intuitive, auto needle threader, I am in love. Now mind you all, I used to sew lots in youth, clothing, then mainly home goods, but now much to my surprise I am considering quilting...or trying one anyhow. Should I just read and go or take a class? I wanted the BSR foot to do designs on jackets and such, which I am sure I will do. But everyone I spoke to and much of what I read referenced quilting. Is it addictive? I'm already addicted to wire work and jewelry making and run a business with DH that is more than full time. I love projects, but really don't need a new addiction! Please advise!

Comments (5)

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Lucky you. Nothing sews like a Bernina. I gave away three sewing machines before I finally got my Bernina and I have had it for 22 or 23 years now and it has never been to the shop. I made clothes for my children, grandchildren, and now I do a lot of sewing for a humanitarian project. It is a fine piece of machinery. I also have two Bernette sergers. As for quilting being addictive.....apparently not....since I made one pillow and decided I had had enough. HeHe If I am going to cut perfectly good fabric into pieces so I can sew it back together, it will not be sewn back flat. However, I do admire the artform, but it is not for me.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

How wonderful for you! A new machine can make all the difference in the world.

Quilting....addictive?......well, why don't you just try it and see??? Hmmmmm.....? It won't hurt to just try it, now will it? Just give it a try......bbbwwwwwaaahahhaha....

Here is a link that might be useful: Step by Step quilting (a new addiction)

• budster
    15 years ago

First off, isn't it wonderful to love your new machine? I'm happy for you, you did the research and found your diamond (doing the homework pays off!) Is quilting addictive -- for a sewer (for me)...YES!! Do go over to the quilting forum and just read and look at all the wonderful things those ladies have done. It will inspire you. They are also there to help with any and all questions or problems you might have. Try something simple like a straight nine patch to begin and just see if you enjoy the challenge. Take a few magazines or books out of the library. Start small......do not think, OK I'll make a queen size spread with matching shams - think throw pillow, or tote bag. See if the challenge is for you. Above all good luck, enjoy yourself and I hope your romance continues.

• kafey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soonergrandmom, love the comment re: quilting, had me lol! I might just try a table runner just to do it...the link seems good, thanks teresa_nc7. I already did what budster mentioned, early seventies, king sized bed (don't remember where that came from at that time!) decided to crochet! Well, after about twenty little squares, laid them out on the bed and felt immediate exhaustion. Found them a few years ago and pitched the whole bag!

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I'm so happy for you! A good machine is well worth it.

This very day my 36 year old computerized Singer conked out and, boy, am I bummed. It only sews in reverse! Over the years I've sewn thousands of garments, gowns, drapes, etc., but never a quilt. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. The machine has never been to the shop for a cleaning or repair or anything, maybe it just needs a tune-up.

Enjoy your projects!

Sherry