Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stiffener for roman shades

Posted by bhmmom (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 19:43

I had a workroom make some roman shades and I am making the next set. I have made them before, but I noticed that the workroom appeared to make the fabric stiffer than it is originally when it comes off the bolt. This stiffening makes the shade look much neater and crisper. Anyone have any idea what they might have used?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stiffener for roman shades

Probably an iron on interfacing. Pin the interfacing to the material. Using a large flat surface that will hold all the material-- like a table or counter protected with a padding and sarting at the middle iron it on, working towards the top and making sure you do not stretch the fabric. Flip end for end and again work fron the middle towards the edge.

o
RE: stiffener for roman shades

It could also be a starch of some kind, they make a lot of products for drapery workrooms for ease of construction.

The place I worked at years ago used a finishing spray that added body to the fabric, but it was applied after installation usually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here