Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
older brother model 260

Posted by garden_wench (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 18:40

My mother gave me an old brother sewing machine that she had purchased 2nd hand from a sewing store and used once. It has HA 4B2 260 as the model number, but there is no manual. I haven't sewn anything since high school, so it has been 20+ years, so any and all help is needed!
I looked online and found nothing. Does anyone know a place to get info about this machine or know if it is one of those solid "work-horse" models? It is turquoise and cream color, if that helps with what decade it might be. I could add a picture if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: older brother model 260

I checked this machine out and found one on e-bay--it's an oldie and you might have trouble having it repaired or finding bobbins and feet to fit it--that bargain may not have been a bargain in the long run and ask your mother why she only used it once. Went looking for a manual with no results.

The only suggestions I can make is to contact Brother to see if they have any manuals available, get a new Brother machine (Walmart and other discount stores has them at a decent price) or purchase a brand machine you are familiar with and comfortable using...none have to be top-of-the-line models.

Sewing is like riding a bike...you don't forget how, you are a bit wobbly at first, and then right back on track.

o

Thanks for your help. My mother is not a crafty person, and I am not, but I wanted to try a simple project like making or hemming curtains. My house has odd size windows. But since she had a machine I thought I would give it a try. She recently went into a nursing home and doesn't need the sewing machine.
I found a website for people that collect old machines and found a similar model 60, and it is supposed to be very well made. Maybe I'll have to get someone who is into sewing to give me some training.

o

Here is a site that sells sewing machine manuals. You might try them. Colleen

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine manuals

o

please contact me! i have had a brother streamline deluxe (seems to be like you described) i have been looking for info on this machine for 3 years now! i was wondering if yours has a white/cream know on the front? if so, i am sure you have the same machine! its amazing because i have not found an identical one yet! i even sent a pic into BROTHER and they couldnt identify it either!
thanks!

o

Does it look something like the one shown at the link below? If so, it's a 15 class machine made in the 50s or early 60s in Japan.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Brother machine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here