Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liddybuff

Great Idea for sewing in limited space

Liddybuff
11 years ago

I want to share with you an idea that I had to utilize your small sewing space. I found a metal computer drawer. It's the kind you put your moniter on and has a drawer underneath to store your keyboard. I have 2 of these that I put my portable sewing machines on top of. I find that the height is good because it brings your work closer to your eyelevel. The drawer is large enough to store about 40+ spools of thread plus my spare bobbins and attachments. I found mine at a thrift store for about $5. Since most people are buying laptops now these things are becomming absolete. (all the better for us seamstresses!)

Comments (12)

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

Sounds great. Whatever works for you.. We do need our sewing space, don't We??

• Laurie
    11 years ago

What a creative idea. Thank you for sharing this!

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

I saw something at an estate sale I thought was clever. It was a hanging show bag - one with all the pockets one for each shoe etc. They hadt hanging on a wall with all the kitchen utensils in it for sale. I thought it would be a good idea for a behind the closet door storage for sewing stuff

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minnie,
    I like that idea for using a shoe bag to store sewing items. It would work especially well if the pockets were clear so you could view your items.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Those are great ideas. I would like to see some more ideas posted. I keep buying sewing things for my projects but have not found time to sew!

Sue

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

When I got a new sewing machine it wouldn't fit in my cabinet but I could use the cabinet for sewing. I had my neighbor who does wood working If he would make me a box with casters for a sewing chair. I went to walmart and bought 3 plastic fishing lure boxes--clear plastic boxes with dividers that could be adjusted and had him put a cleat in the box for them to rest on

The seat is basically a box at the right height for sewing 21 x 16 by 17 high. It was made to fit the boxes. The body is made from plywood and the top is hinged and solid wood. He did a beautiful job even if he said it was just made from scraps he had laying around. He put the cleats low enough that I can put a cushion I made for sitting on.

One of the fishing boxes holds extra spools of thread.The other 2 hold things I need for sewing like elastic and trims amd pinking scissors and sewing scissors and lots of other things. The bottom of the box holds extra material and stuff I'm working on.My machine sits on top of the box under the cabinet when not in use

When I go to sew I open the top of the cabinet, lift out my machine and set it on the top. Push out the box and set my nachine in the cabinet and I'm ready to sew.

I did leave out a few things for hand sewing and have those in another fishing box in a chest in that room.

The whole project cost me less than $100. You may not need this idea but I'm sure you could use the fishing lure box idea. I have small ones too. One holds all the feet for my machine--all labelled so I know just what one to pick.

What a marvelous thread. I'm sure we can all learn from each other

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

dowlinggram if at all possible I would like to see pics.

:) Aqua

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi aquadragonfly, You said you would like pics of our ideas. Here is the computer keyboard drawer I use.

• Questioner72
    11 years ago

This is a really good idea. I haven't sewn in years, but I have a few projects I'd like to start.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I also cross stitch and I use tackle boxes to store my floss in.They fit very well.I don't use the flat cardboard cards for winding my floss on,I use round one that look like a donut
    Kathi

• talley_sue_nyc
    11 years ago

I use a folding utility table (basically a larger version of a TV tray table) to set my sewing machine on.

I don't leave it permanently up, but this works for month-long stints, because it folds up flat when it's done.

Kind of like the one at the link below. But I got mine for about $20 at a dollar-store-type place.

I like that computer-monitor booster w/ drawer! But I don't have a permanent place for it.

And dowlinggram, I'd *LOVE* to see pics of what your neighbor made for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: folding table

• birdtalker
    10 years ago

When I was young and we moved around a lot and I did not have a sewing space, I put my rather heavy sewing machine on a roll around tv stand. I would roll it into the living room and do my sewing and then tuck it into a corner of a room. A lot of bending over but it worked. I would love to have another wooden typewriter table for sewing on but the one I have is so rare these days.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs