Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobby_libby

Too many types of scissors! CONFUSED

hobby_libby
13 years ago

While shopping for pinking shears to replace my (DuraSharp?) broken handle set, I was frightened by all the scissors for different applications.

So I hunt for & find my scissors paperwork.

The DuraSharp 5" are "ideal for precision cutting of tape, film, paper, string and many other home/office materials".

The DuraSharp 8" are "ideal for everyday cutting of fabric cardboard, tape, light rope, paper and many other home and office materials."

Before seeing all the different types of scissors, I thought all/multi-purpose ones were fine!

Now I'm really worried I'll have to buy a pair of each type of scissor!

To give you an idea of what I need scissors for, most of the things I work with in the sewing/crafting realm are: craft foam, beading wire, chenille stems, wool & acrylic felt, magnet sheets, embroidery floss, crochet/knitting yarn, twine, greeting cards, chipboard, cardboard, cotton & cotton-poly fabric, fabric interfacing, batting, ribbon, & I may be using them for cork & thin metal sheeting.

I just 'lost' my paramedic style scissors to the man cave/garage. :-(

I also work with houseplants, bushes, trees, perennials & annuals!

So, may I please have some help figuring out what scissors I need before I have a nervous breakdown? ha ha ha

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I do have other cutters: 2 for kitchen, 3 for perennials & annuals etc. (which I should use for my houseplants vs the kitchen shears), & 2 for candles. I just wanted to clear up any confusion. Sorry!

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Really libby ---
    There are hundreds of different kinds of knives too, from a paring knife to a chefs clever. Do you feel you have to have 1 of each too.

You buy what you need for the things you do. The most important like sewing scissors, will be the expensive good ones--the rest of varying price right down to the dollar store ones, that I consider disposable.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ME
    Before seeing all the different types of scissors, I thought all/multi-purpose ones were fine!

Now I'm really worried I'll have to buy a pair of each type of scissor!

YOU
    There are hundreds of different kinds of knives too, from a paring knife to a chefs clever. Do you feel you have to have 1 of each too.

Not according to what I wrote as quoted above. Ok, so never mind then. I guess I'm on my own to figure this out. Thanks anyhow!
  • blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

for 99% of what you listed I would skip all the specialized scissors and go right for J.A. Henckels kitchen scissors (with the twins on them) (not the international division with one man on them, they're much cheaper made). These were made to cut bones so they are durable enough to cut almost anything and stay sharp 5 - 7 years.

Anything that is made for fabric, should use a good 7 or 8 inch fabric scissors. Then beat anyone to death (just kiddin') that even THINKS of using them for anything other then fabric.

The other option is to get a good Lock-blade, refillable utility knife at ????Mart. for about $12. you can get a good Utility knife AND 150 replacement blades (each of which can be used on both ends before you have to dispose of them). Use it for any thing that will make a blade go bad quick, because you can change it quickly & cheaply.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

If you get a scissor for each separate project/need, you will need to get a storage shed out back just to keep them in...LOL You just need to decide what you want to cut and then decide if you really need a special pair of scissors for that project.
    For what its worth, this is what I have: one pair of razor sharp shears FOR FABRIC ONLY, one pair of pinking shears FOR FABRIC ONLY, a rotary cutter, a pair of spring loaded snips for thread cutting while sewing, a small pair of embroidery scissors for embroidery work. These are used for my sewing/quilting and absolutely nothing else. I keep a lot of pairs of "everyday" scissors that I use for paper, foam, tape, etc. I keep one by my computer, one in my sewing area, one in the kitchen, and one at a desk in the guest room. i also keep a pair in my bedroom closet to remove tags from new clothes, snip errant threads, etc. These are inexpensive scissors that will I replace as needed. I also have a pair of kitchen shears for cooking needs. This does not count the number of gardening shears I have. Oh yeah, I have a few box cutters around too.
    I found that after my children grew up and left home that my scissors stayed where I left them, were usable each and every time I needed them, and I didn't have to purchase new pairs every time I needed to cut something.
    I do know what you mean about the many different types of scissors out there. Have you checked on the different types/kinds of thread and machine needles? Mind boggling.
    Good luck,
    Murphy

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

Arts & crafts teacher here & like Murphy - I have 'good' shears/scissors kept for sewing ONLY - 1 pr heavy duty large upholsterer's shears, 1 pr large dressmakers shears, 1 pr tiny embroidery scissors & 1 pr pinking shears.

The rest (& I have quite a selection) are for everything else - I have a nice pair of tough utility scissors that are great for lots of craft purposes, like cutting plastics, metal etc. (& a very sharp serrated bread knife which I use as a saw). For wire & chenille stems, I prefer to use the oldest crappiest scissors I have - or wire cutters. I also have a number of 'paper edgers' of various designs. My fave scissors for paper cutting are a pair of Fiskars w/ a sharp point & approx. 3" blade.

FWIW, there IS a difference between scissors & shears - shears are offset, so your hand is above the cutting surface, scissors are symmetrical.

& also FWIW, I found my very nice Mundial Cushion Pro shears @ a local discount/odd lots store (Tuesday Morning) for about $5.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BLITZY
    Anything that is made for fabric, should use a good 7 or 8 inch fabric scissors. Then beat anyone to death (just kiddin') that even THINKS of using them for anything other then fabric.

MURPHY
    For what its worth, this is what I have: one pair of razor sharp shears FOR FABRIC ONLY, one pair of pinking shears FOR FABRIC ONLY, a rotary cutter, a pair of spring loaded snips for thread cutting while sewing, a small pair of embroidery scissors for embroidery work. These are used for my sewing/quilting and absolutely nothing else.

Have you checked on the different types/kinds of thread and machine needles? Mind boggling.

CAROL
    I have 'good' shears/scissors kept for sewing ONLY - 1 pr heavy duty large upholsterer's shears, 1 pr large dressmakers shears, 1 pr tiny embroidery scissors & 1 pr pinking shears.

& also FWIW, I found my very nice Mundial Cushion Pro shears @ a local discount/odd lots store (Tuesday Morning) for about $5.

Is there a pr of fabric shears that can be used on any fabric & multiple layers if needed? I'd have to beat MYSELF for using them on anything else! Oh, I do have a Fiskars 45mm rotary wheel with loop handle. I love that thing! Yes, I've seen the variety of machine needles & thread. I buy whatever brand of multi\-pack knit & woven needles, & usually Gutermann thread. As for embroidery scissors, I've been looking at personal scissors with rounded curved tips that I can use with crochet/knitting, embroidery & snipping threads while fabric's on the machine. Does this sound reasonable? I found a pair of forged pinking shears for 50 cents at a thrift store & IDK where a forged pr of (dressmaker?) shears came from, but both need professionally sharpened. Paste on a 6" buffer wheel didn't work & neither did the Fiskars hand\-held sharpener. I've called all over to find someone who sharpens scissors but struck out. That's why I bought a pr of Fiskars pinking shears & am looking into multi\-use fabric shears.
  • hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never got to use the paramedic/EMT shears before they disappeared. For whatever purpose, I have no clue.

Hm, I wonder if they can also be used for gardening. I'm scheming.

Anyhow, if I ever get them back, does anyone know if they'll work for my non-fabric crafting?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Here's the problem - to cut fabric cleanly, you need sharp scissors and much of what you work with is going to nick and dull the blades so you end up chewing your way through fabric.

Fabric-cutting scissors should be reserved for fabric and thread! Get a pair of cheap utility scissors for the paper, felt and other stuff. The kind sold in grocery stores as "Kitchen scissors" are great utility scissorsm, and the Fiskars rip-offs from the office supply places are good too.

craft foam: sharp long-bladed knife, or utility scissors

beading wire, chenille stems, thin metal sheeting, magnet sheets: small wirecutters and a pair of "tin snips" for the metal and magnet sheets

wool & acrylic felt, embroidery floss, crochet/knitting yarn, twine, greeting cards, chipboard, cardboard: Utility scissors

cotton & cotton-poly fabric, fabric interfacing, batting, ribbon: Fabric scissors, although poly batting can dull them.

I just 'lost' my paramedic style scissors to the man cave/garage. Tell him to get his own pair! Those things are invaluable for craft work.

houseplants, bushes, trees, perennials & annuals: Real pruning shears, loppers and "flower snippers" (needle-nosed pruning shears). You will gunk up your scissors with plant sap if you use scissors.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

hobby libby ... trauma shears work well for some craft work, such as cutting artist's canvas and other tough materials. I use them for hacking through levis seams, carpet padding, etc. They are oddly useless on many kinds of paper.

I don't know how they do in craft wire - I use wire cutters (stolen from the man-cave!)

FORGOT: You need one pair of small, straight-bladed scissors (embroidery scissors) for snipping into corners of seams. These can double as thread and yarn cutters.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LAZY
    beading wire, chenille stems, thin metal sheeting, magnet sheets: small wirecutters and a pair of "tin snips" for the metal and magnet sheets

They are oddly useless on many kinds of paper.

You need one pair of small, straight-bladed scissors (embroidery scissors) for snipping into corners of seams. These can double as thread and yarn cutters.

I have some cheapie wire cutters that came w/ a set of other pliers. That's just plain weird. I wanted to avoid snagging fabric & yarn tho. Hm. :\-/
  • blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

I have used my Bandage Scissors for EVERY THING! From cutting pennies in half to entertain the smallest pts., cutting pop-can open to use as a One-time-use mini-shovel for potted plants, cutting leather boots off a damaged ankle, opening those plastic packages batteries come in, cutting my address off of catalogs before disposing, cutting out dinum skirts,....

Anything craft orientated should be no problem.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BLITZY
    When you say bandage scissors, do you mean the one that's bent & has "an under-bite"?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cramer-Bandage-Scissors/5026398?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5026398

Were you responding to me saying personal scissors? I meant the little ones for cuticles, ear/nose hair, etc..
    http://www.amazon.com/J-A-Henckels-Nose-Ear-Scissors/dp/B000V4USB6

Sorry, IDK how to make the URL into a link.

I found a pr of pointed straight & pointed curved in the garage that I'll use for threads! At least I hope they work for such. They were free & I like that!

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Blitzy -
    You an EMT? Do you know anything that can cut ski boots off?

Hobby-libby ... those "bandage scissors" are to trauma shears what a chihuahua is to a pit bull. Not nearly as tough, although they do a good job on gauze and tape, they can't do leather boots, ski jackets and the rest of the tough stuff.

These are trauma shears (also called paramedic shears, EMT shears, EMT scissors) Cheap, because they tend to carry a lot of them and they can dump them if the get too damaged. Almost any local medical or vet supply store carries them. I just swipe them from ambulance crews.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=01811&source=froogle

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LAZY
    OK, I have those & the ones I posted for BLITZY. I got them @ The Garage for free too! Who doesn't like that price? ;-)

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

hobby_libby: Yes, what you named off seems reasonable to me, and I love my looped handled Fiskar's wheel. I've had it drummed into me about fabric scissors/shears being only for fabric, by three generations of sewers, since i was born. It was a habit to look somewhere else for "Other" scissors/shears by the time I was 9. I'm slow, lol, thus the "Blitzy" blond.

For someone to sharpen your scissors/shears check with your local Ace hardware or farm supply store for their recommendations.

Lazy: that's a great outline for the type of scissors/shears needed.

I use the terms "bandage scissors" and EMT scissors inter-changeably. I know they are not, but it's a bad habit.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BLITZY
    Thanks, it's good to know I can use scissors/shears that were made for other purposes, on fabric & threads.

So The Garage 'store' has 'sold' me enough scissors/shears, dental implements, tweezers, & hemostats to start with.

I found a place to sharpen the ones of concern, & test others to see if they need sharpened too, so I'll get them back maybe this weekend, hopefully without too much cost.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County