Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

How do I alter a fitted king size sheet down to a queen size?

caroline94535
13 years ago

I found a lovely (dusty purple!) set of king size sheets for an amazingly low price. So low I had to get them, even though my bed is a queen size.

The bottom sheet is a problem. Of course, it's too wide and too long. The corner seams don't meet at the corners of the bed. I make the bed neatly, tucking all the excess material under the mattress, but the bottom sheet takes on a life of it's own. It's rumply and crumply and a wrinkled mess in the morning.

What would be the best way to re-sew this sheet so it fits the queen size matteress as it should?

The top sheet is not a problem. I'm going to trim about eight inches off of one long side and put a narrow hem along that edge. That takes care of the width, which is just too close to the floor to leave it as is.

The length is fine, especially since I like a deep turn over at the top of the sheet.

Comments (13)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I would re-do the corners - make new ones - and gather them onto elastic.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

I would do as Lazygardens...the taking apart would be the pain...tedious more than anything, but re-cutting/re-sewing the corners and adding elastic wouldn't be that bad, just time consuming, IMO. I have a few flannel sheets I bought at a thrift store that I have to do the same thing to.

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

I had to do that to make double from queen. My advice, buy a seperate bottom sheet. Of course, I was doing this without having a double bed to try it on to as this was for a friend. Best bet is to put sheet on bed upside down/inside out and mark new corner seems.
    good luck, Kathy G in MI

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

I would re-make the corners.
    Here is the address of a website that shows how to do exactly what you want to do
    . http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/fittedsheet.htm

Good deal finding a bargain on sheets that you love.
    Murphy

I need to learn how to attach a link instead of just copying and pasting. Sorry about that.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Murphy

To attach a clickable link do it the way you have been doing it but paste in the URL box below and give the link a name. It will show up as a clickable link

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Like this?

Yes, that is the method I would use.

I also made half-fitted sheets so I didn't have the hassle of keeping the top sheet tucked in at night (it was a bit small for the bed). Added a strip of muslin, mitered the corners and it was easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flat to fitted conversion

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

oilpainter.
    thanks for the instruction, will try that next time. So simple! I see the url link and name box, just didn't quite know what to do.....LOl
    Murphy

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm late responding (life got in the way!) but I want to thank each of you for the helpful ideas.

As soon as we get our first snow, and I can guiltlessly lock myself in the sewing room until May, I'm going to try the half fitted idea!

Thanks again!

• Chromatic
    6 years ago

This is the best way....King to Queen fitted sheet

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I know this is a response to a very old post. But Chromatic, if I understand this method correctly (pix would have helped on this site!) they suggest a seam down the center of the sheet. Pretty easy peasy. However, I think that would be a little unstable. During sleep, moving around may put too much stress on that stitched seam down the middle.

I still think the best option would be to alter the corners. And I would also flat fell or enclose the corner seam again. Maybe that is the perfection seam"stress" (there may be a reason the word "stress" is at the end of seam in that word!) in me, but I think it is the better and more stable route.

Now, the only other way I would do that middle seam option, is this. Follow steps 1 through 4 from the "King to Queen fitted sheet" site you recommend.(Make sure to pin your middle seam with just a little "give" or ease so it is not so tight it rips during sleep.) Now, after you sew the seam, don't cut it, but rather lay the excess fabric down onto the sewing line so you have the excess fabric spread equally on both sides. Like one big pleat. Pin in place and THEN sew a topstitch line down each side of the big pleat along the edge. And you are done. This will reinforce and protect that original middle seam. NO CUTTING involved! That is what I would do. Rosie

• Chromatic
    6 years ago
    Rosie.....there was a comment on that site that said they thought two seams would be better as you wouldn't lay on top of it. The poster suggested one on each side of the sheet near each side or edge. I think your idea of the pleat is a good one. As if that seam opened up, you'd still be laying on sheet and not mattress. you could also remove the seam if you ever wanted a King again.
  • Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Thanks for answering Chromatic! There are always several ways to do something. I like to hear all options in case there is a better one out there!

As far as just a plain "take up" seam on either side,,,,I still think that would not last as long just because of tossing and turning. Too much stress, not enough fortification. Just my opinion. Rosie

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA