Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joansews4u

Taggie battle of 2003 to present

joansews4u
18 years ago

Anyone recall the threats after enticements from Marlene to make her a Taggie replica 2 years back? They are still using the ploy on another sewing/craft forum that you have to be a paid member of. My daughter has been aware of it for a few weeks now.............bringing us up to a FUNNY discovery.

We are in an area that has Hancock Fabric store. We were there recently & picked up a free brochure about using fleece & fleece gift items. Guess what??? Pictures & instructions to make a "Ribbons Of Comfort". Our take-along fleece blankets have small loops of ribbon stitched in the seams to provide babies with tacticle & visual stimulation.

People have had their listings pulled from e-bay recently because of Taggie's complaints, I mean with "proof" of Fisher Price having one out in the early 70s too. Wonder if Taggies will jail us for copying Hancock's directions? I still have never seen a true genuine Taggie. Remember, I got my directions from a phone conversation describing a homemade one to me by a non-sewer.

When I was required to respond to the allegations, I told them they needed to be getting their own fabric & ribbons that were not things available to the general public or they would never have their own item not being replicated.

I wonder what part of their profits go to their patent attorney? what they pay the ones who search online sites? the ones who attend craft shows, coast to coast, looking for them in booths? I guess that's why they have to charge $30 + s/h for something that can be made & shipped for way less than $5 each.

Anyone want Hancock's directions, contact them for Fleece & Gifts 2005, Hancock Fabrics Inc, One Fashion Way, Baldwyn, Mississippi 38824

This will be interesting to follow & see what happens between Taggie & Hancock. Booklet says you can teach from the publication but you can't make copies w/o Hancock's permission.

Comments (101)

• scillacc
    17 years ago

I have a photo of the Fisher price Blanket. I am not aware of what a taggie is.
    If you want I can send a link

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

Please post a link to the picture of the FP blanket.

• chrisstitch
    17 years ago

This is the first time I have been to this forum.I go to Hosta Forum and Embroidery forum a lot AND I have been making tBaby "things and selling them for a long time.........I was totally unaware of all this controvery...we even wrote a poem to go with this "thing" so new moms or grammas would know what it was all about.....am I in touble now....well at 74 a life sentence won,t be too long........and what about denim tote bags? who has a patent on them? and by the way, I love the forum! do any of you go to the Hosta Forum? Chris

• nancy8947
    17 years ago

I posted quite some time ago - I have the instructions from Hancock's that I have saved to my desk top.

Anyone that would like a copy of the instructions for the taggie blanket they posted send me an e-mail and I will be glad to forward.

Nancy

• charmingkv
    17 years ago

could someone email me a pattern of the taggie ball, I can't find it on Hancocks and I want to make one for my babies. Thanks

• joansews4u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think Hancock removed all items related to taggies things from their site.

• cutiekiz7
    17 years ago

Someone please e-mail me the instructions for the Tag blanket, I want to make one for my daughter and niece for Christmas!

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

Cutiekiz7, don't think that will happen any time soon.

It is so much easier and safer for babies to buy a piece of fleece and blanket binding, sew the blanket binding on all 4 sides to finish the ends, and call it a day. There are so many different blanket binding colors and prints put out by manufacturers these days to coordinate with fabrics.

Babies always did like to futz with the blanket binding, a much safer alternative in my view. If you look closely at those ribbon loops, babies can get their fingers caught in the loops and cause some serious injury to their fingers and no one knows how they manage to do it.

• coopsmom
    17 years ago

Anyone with the taggies blanket directions...can you please email it to me so I can make one for my son?
    Thanks

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Why won't these phisher-people just go away and leave us to our sewing?

• nancy8947
    17 years ago

Coopsmom - send me an e-mail. I have the directions saved.

You don't have an e-mail listed.

Nancy

• User
    17 years ago

How interesting that the last three people who requested patterns registered with GardenWeb the same day.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

dian, I think it is a good idea to check the registeration date on "new" posters. could be a setup.

• s_piha
    17 years ago

Hi. I've been reading these posts with interest. I made a couple of blankets with ribbons for my daughter, and I was looking around a couple of weeks ago for sewing patterns and found one for a ribbon ball. I thought I saved it to my computer, but now that I'm looking for it, it's gone. Plus I can't find the website with the pattern anymore. I'm thinking they got rid of it. I didn't know this issue with taggies had been going on for so long, but I swear the ball pattern was there a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I know everyone is paranoid that someone asking for a pattern, or link to one, is going to be a setup, but I really would love to know if anyone knows of a link for the ball. I guess I could figure it out myself, but I'm a new sewer, and I'm wondering how you make something that would be round enough without an actual pattern. There's probably some math involved, but I was trying to avoid that. Anyway, I think the taggies pattern is invalid, and also noticed that it's a reissue patent, so I wonder what they had to change when it was reissued. It seems it's way too broad the way it's written (and I'm a patent agent).

• s_piha
    17 years ago

Oh, I just found it. Here it is for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.newconceptions.com/free.htm

• coopsmom
    17 years ago

Dian and Minnie...you caught me, it's a huge setup! I'm an undercover operative for Fisher Price I have a team of Weeble Wobbles and Little People helping to infiltrate the Garden Web...for gosh sakes I was searching for directions on how to make the blanket and this website popped up. I registered and asked Nancy for the Hancock's directions no ulterior motive here
    Nancy~I sent you my personal email let me know if you didn't get it...

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

Coops Mom,
    I'm sorry if you were offened. There are several people on this board that Taggie's has threatened with a law suit. So it's serious business to us when someone new asks about this particular post and we've never seen a post from them before.
    This board has been used to "set up" good intentioned people.

I'm sure that Hancock's removed the link because of Taggies. Anyhow, with all of that said welcome to the boards and we hope you stick around and get to know us. We really are a helpful bunch of people.
    Susan

• craftinggrannie
    17 years ago

Hello Ladies
    I've been reading the post on this taggie war. Yes I have posted on here just recently. I have posted on the craf forum also. I use to be a regular many years ago. When they started charging I didn't join because at the time money was very tight. I would read alot of the post and get alot of ideas to make Christmas presents. I really missed this forum and until recently hadn't been here.
    I can understand where you would think that those of us who are new would be under supsion. I understand completely. My daugther bought some designs off ebay and thought they were on the up and up but come to fine out that wasn't the case. It costed her a little money and a lesson learned.
    Susan I did send you a e-mail not realizing the date until after I sent it. It was concerning the big Spring sale in your area as my daugther lives in the Briginham area.
    Please feel free to send me a e mail if there is any problems. I'm not here to hurt anyone. I'm just a person who loves to sew and craft. Thank you very much
    Craftinggrannie

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

You have to read the whole patent verbage to realize the woman got the patent from the "educational" aspect.

• nancy8947
    17 years ago

Coopsmom - didn't get your e-mail.

Not sure what e-mail I have on this site - try
    nek8947@aol.com

Nancy

• illini9701
    17 years ago

Hi! I just asked for the instructions, too. I'm a new mom who is interested in learning how to make tag blankets. My daughter adores her homemade tag blanket I won as a door prize at a Halloween party. She has a 12x12 flannel blanket she cuddles with at night. She also likes to sleep with it on her face, so I prefer not to have heavier (fleece) blankets for her. If you look me up on ebay, you'll see I've purchased some tag blankets recently. Thanks for all of the information about this tag blanket/ebay drama.

• niki5
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here & no I'm not a Spy! LOL I'm a mom of 5 & I've been sewing for years now. I'm amazed that a company can have a patent on a baby blanket! Isn't there more than one type of car, doll, computer, ball, peice of paper??? How can they have the rights to something like this? I know that I'll continue to sell them locally, it's funny I've been selling them for a while now & only found out last year in July that there was an actual company with a patent. I guess great minds think alike! = )

• stayathomegranny
    16 years ago

Whoa, I thought you guys were kidding. I got brave enough to put my tag-along security blankets on my website less than a month ago. Today I got an email telling me to get them off. I called and emailed them, but no reply. Can they get my ISP to shut down my website?

• stitchntime9
    16 years ago

Do you have a link to your website?

There are a few scams running around on this thing, as I was on the receiving end of it for sharing Hummel patterns--I don't share and have all original purchased charts and kits. They ask for money, threaten, and never return phone calls or e-mails (save the e-mails so the isp address can be saved and tracked back when you report the scam to your isp).

If you can get a physical address for this person that is even better so you can report the scam to the postal service for mail fraud. If you get a letter from a Boston law firm that looks like it's been photocopied a gazillion times and not an original letter an attorney will send, it is a scam.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

This is the kind of stuff that Clark Howard at clarkhoward.com could help you with. He's a consumer advocate on talk radio. There is no charge for what he does. These kinds of scams could ruin your credit and worse. If someone actually levels a lawsuit at you, you are required to answer it. That usually costs a fortune. Seems like there's a lot of funny business going around related to this issue, which may have nothing to do with the Taggie name. It may help to try to find the source of some of this stuff. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Clark Howard's website

• stitchntime9
    16 years ago

Thank you for the reference...we are all way ahead of you on this one.

• stayathomegranny
    16 years ago

Taggie returned my email and phone call - they sent copies of the patent and said if I didn't "stop making, selling and using" them their attorney would be contacting me. I wonder if they will sue my two little granddaughters that are 4 and 18 months if they don't stop "using" them!! I left pictures of them on my website and sorry, taggie won't let me sell them any more. I call mine tag-along security blankets, but their are dozens for sale on ebay that say taggie and are not made by taggie. Wonder why they are not being frozen??

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I wonder if these folks are getting sued? Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taggies.com

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Oh duh, sorry, ignore my post :). This is who you all are talking about.

• deanao
    16 years ago

I know that "Taggies" are having some problems with their "love notes"--they are being examined by the consumer protection agency because of numerous complaints about there pilling and dye running--I know becaus e I was contacted after I filed a complaint--I had bought 3 of these things for my daughter who adored them and the same thing happened each time; I had attempted to workwith Taggies and even purchased the last one from them but all I ever get is the run around--I was basically tld that i was an over protective mother and that there was nothing wrong with the blanket. All well and good EXCEPT that Chloe STILL was getting a mountful of fabric and dye all over her mouth! The only person that was even remotely pleasant and helpful at "corporate" was guy in customer service and, when I called back the Tuesday after memorial day i was told he was no longer there! I can't help but wonder if it was because he had too much integrity for Taggies? If they talk to people like the woman I spoke to talked to me then they will only be around a short time longer, let me tell you your average mom is NOT going to be treated like this!

• licia_arnold_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

In Salt Lake City, UT there is a an who works for a news station. His show is called Get Gephardt, on KUTV channel 2. (Unsure of spelling) He takes cases like this and broadcasts them. He might be able to get someones attention. (His show is a local channel on Dish Network in Utah and Idaho I don't know where else, but that is enough to maybe get someones attention. I have seen him take on many scam projects like this before. (And he has the funding) Just an idea for anyone who has letters and emails to prove this. Everyone on here with any kind of experience with this should contact him. I've included a link to the news website.

Here is a link that might be useful: KUTV

• mel2007
    16 years ago

I hate to say this but I didn't know all this was going on until a lady at the fabric counter in Walmart mentioned it. I have been selling my loveys with ribbons on Ebay. Today I got a message through Ebay from a woman wanting three of a certain style. Once I gave her a quote I noticed the similarity of the name given "Maren" to "Marlene." Please advise....

• barker_tx
    16 years ago

there is a seller on e-bay by the name of tabberone who has taken on numerous entities over patents, copyrights, etc. You might want to read her ME page.
    carolyn

• pris
    16 years ago

I didn't read every post on this thread so forgive me if I am repeating something someone else has thought of. I too was concerned with the safety aspect of the "tags" so what about making the blanket safer and still have the tactile aspect of the taqs. Would sewing ribbon strips into the blanket edge without looping them be in violation of the patent held by Taggie Inc.? I'm sure a variety of ribbon materials could be found that would satisfy the textured aspect of the original can be found and various fabric types could be sewn into the edge also. Just sew a tube of fabric and attach it into the seam. This eliminates the "loop" that little fingers and toes can get caught in and still gives baby something to play with. You could even double the ribbon and sew the edges together before attaching to the blanket. You could also do different shapes of inserts to make it more interesting. Your blanket could end up looking entirely different from the patented version.

Just a thought

Pat

• mel2007
    16 years ago

Pat, I like the idea of using fabric instead of ribbons--although I have a TON, purchased just for my loveys. :-(

• stitchntime9
    16 years ago

Mel2007, that's the gal on Ebay that baits people into making them and before you know it, you get a cease and desist, or demand for money for copyright violation.

DON'T make them for her.

• lavajess
    16 years ago

Has there been any follow up on this since last postings? I never knew this was such an issue.
    I have been making baby security blankets, some w/tags, some w/o tags for awhile. I just started selling them on ebay and recieved an email notifying me that my item had been removed.
    I'm not sure if this is beacuse I used the word 'taggie' in the description or if you just can't make items similar to tradmarked items. Does anyone the clarification on this. I can sell a similar item as long as I don't use the company name correct? Where is a good resource to uncode the patent laws?
    Thanks!!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Looks like you are new to the forum, lavajess, as you just registered today? Perhaps this is the time to let this dead horse expire?

• love2craft
    16 years ago

I am also new and I found this thread by doing a search on Google for 'Taggie Blanket Instructions'. I have no ill intentions here or anything and I don't want to beat a dead horse. I just wanted to say that people are selling these type of blankets, etc on Etsy.com and there are at least 60 pages of them listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy The place to sell all things handmade

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

The bottom line is ebay can pull an auction on anything that is listed if someone says you are using copywright infringement. Calling it a Taggie or making it with "tags" would get the auction pulled.
    Susan

• cmc_97
    16 years ago

Loganhogan is correct: using a copyrighted name or trademarked name on eBay can get the auction pulled.

In this case, not only is the name copyrighted and trademarked, but the DESIGN itself is PATENTED. Patents are a different issue entirely. No matter what you call it, you can't legally sell objects like it without violating patent law.

From the Wikipedia page about patents:

"A patent is not a right to practice or use the invention. Rather, a patent provides the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention for the term of the patent, usually 20 years from the filing date."

Somehow, someone managed to convince the US Patent Office that sewing a loop of ribbon into a seam was a NEW idea and a new invention. *I* dont' think it's a new invention, however, I don't work at the patent office, so my opinion doesn't count.

I believe a poster on this group reported that the patent holders informed her by letter from their lawyers that she could not allow her toddler to *use* a similar lovey blanket that she had sewn herself. And patent law does, indeed, give them the right to do so.

It's a crazy situation.

CMC
    The infamous patent RE38782

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia on Patents to give you an overview of patent law

• stitchntime9
    16 years ago

You can also view the patent at the US government patent site..plug the number in, get your hip waders on, and start reading..the bs gets kinda deep and need the hip waders.

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

Thought I'd mention that today when I went in the local Food Max grocery store on the Paper towel isle they had an end cap of these things called Chcukie or Chickie or Chuckie or something like that, anyhow it was minky on one side, fleece on one and the "tags" were not loops like the taggies but looked like sewn straps for a totebag. They were solid pieces of fabric not ribbon, that had a crinkle sound to them like they were some form of rip stop nylon or polyester, anyhow they were about 7.00 each and I wondered how they got around the Taggie patent.
    Susan

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

I would hate to see a baby get it's finger damaged in a blanket like that, but I would say it is a real possibility. And............if they do, I hope they sue the pants off the Taggie company. Just what they deserve.

• southernbelle_2008
    15 years ago

Ladies this is the response I got from ETSY this morning after they pulled my listings. So sad that greed of corporate bullies takes us out...Im so dumb I didn't know that these blankets were even manufactured globally by a company....I saw them on ETSY months ago and thought I can do that...it was so cute...Well cute has horns

Dear Robyn,

I am so sorry for the mis-undersatnding. Etsy does not patrol or work for Taggies in any way. We are not affiliated, and do not represent this company or any of their interests. Etsy strictly follows a commonly used Copyright Policy called the "DMCA". In it, a copyright holder must approach Etsy to have content removed from this site. People patrol and enforce their *own* copyright interests. In this case, Taggies contacted Etsy about you. Etsy cannot speak for Taggies and their choice to patrol one business over another. If you feel discriminated against by Taggies, you might consider writing to them about it, and how you feel as one of their customers.

You and your attorney may follow the proper steps to respond to this copyright concern, as detailed in our Copyright Policy here:

http://www.etsy.com/copyright_policy.php

Many thanks,
    Emily

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

While I sympathize with your position as a cottage industry, I have to admit that I also understand the other side, too. I design quilt patterns and it's extremely frustrating to find my designs being used without any credit given to me.

It's almost impossible to police such things, but since Taggies DOES have a legal patent, they are well within their rights to protect it. You have to keep in mind that it's not who invents or comes up with an idea that has the legal right to it, it's the person who has the patent or copyright for it. If you really want to get into a pickle, try selling something with a Disney character on it sometime! BTW--it's perfectly ok to copy these things for YOUR OWN USE, it's only when you try to sell them that you get into trouble.

Annie

• nomoreblankets
    14 years ago

Has there been any update on this issue? I just had many of my listings removed from my Etsy shop. Items I designed myself. I had never heard of the Taggies Corporation, nor seen a Taggie blanket. I just made some items using the knowledge learned from observing my babies fondness for ribbons and tags. I put a few looped ribbons on my cotton & minky blankets that were secured under blanket binding and a few on some soft toys I designed. This is way beyond ridiculous, has no one challenged these women after all this time? I have been making items like these for twenty years and thought I would list them on Etsy. Is there any new information?

Here is a link that might be useful: Taggie battle of 2003 to present

• kaotickrafter
    14 years ago

I am new here, but I found this site after one of my items was removed from my ArtFire shop. After doing some research and reading their patent, these are the e-mails I sent and received from Taggies.

From: Kristina Steffen [mailto:kaotickrafter@hotmail.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:55 PM
    To: Cristi Navickas; mid@artfire.com
    Subject: RE: Intellectual Properety Infringment Notice from Taggies Inc.

Ms. Navickas,
    I apologize for any harm I may have caused. I had no prior knowledge of this patent.

I have a question. If my item does not have loops, is that considered an infringement? I read through the patent but I did not see any reference to un-looped ribbons.

If you could please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Kristina
    http://www.kaotickrafter.blogspot.com
    http://www.jetisteffen.blogspot.com
    http://www.kaotickrafter.artfire.com
    http://www.craft4emma.etsy.com

RE: Intellectual Properety Infringment Notice from Taggies Inc.âÂÂ
    Sent: Thu 3/04/10 8:11 AM
    To: Kristina Steffen (kaotickrafter@hotmail.com)
    Attachments: 1 attachment
    image001.png (7.7 KB)

If there are no loops there is no infringement.

Thank you,

Cristi Navickas

cnavickas@taggies.com

If anyone would like to see the entire e-mail thread, or would like the patent, feel free to e-mail me kaotickrafter@hotmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: KaoticKrafter

• pris
    14 years ago

I've never seen one of these, actually. I can visualize it and if am wondering how much you would have to change the design to not have a problem. The above poster says to simply not form a loop. But, what if you wanted loops? Could you, for instance, sew one side into the blanket and tack the other side down with buttons? Finish off the end of the ribbon in a V shape and sew it to the blanket using a button or some other decorative notion. You still have loops but the design has been changed. Would this be enough to allow you to sell them?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH