Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

washing dupioni silk

scryn
18 years ago

ok, so I love the look of dupinoni silk. It just has that neat looking texture. I made curtains and love them and I would really love the same look for my duvet cover. I know that you are not supposed to wash the silk but can you? Has anyone done this in their washing machine ?

I just can't imagine NOT washing a duvet cover every so often. so if this can't be done I guess I will just have to find something else.

-renee

Comments (10)

• dayenu
    18 years ago

I work w dupioni all the time. I wash it before sewing and also tooss it in the dryer. and after. You'll need to press it maybe or just get it out of the dryer right away.

Colors may bleed the first few washings.

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

I've heard you shouldn't use a steam iron (only dry) on silk dupioni. Have some but haven't sewn with it yet. I also thought line dry.

• scryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So you don't have a problem washing it at all? how do you wash it? I am assuming you use only cold water.
    I am so happy to hear it can be washed though! yay!
    Every site I read on said that if you wash it it doesn't look as nice and it needs to be dry cleaned (which I just won't do!!!)
    Do you think the silk will be ok for a duvet? I only use it during the winter and usually wash it 2x during that time. So it won't be used all year long.
    -renee

• dayenu
    18 years ago

I wash it in cold water with a cold water rinse. It will seem stiff and weird and then ironing it will return it to the wonderful texture. And yes I use a steam iron all the time and never had a problem.

• scryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do you put the iron directly on the fabric or do you put a towel down first ? If you put it in the dryer do you use your low heat setting? My dryer gets VERY hot so I am not sure if that would ruin the silk.
    thanks for all your help!!!
    -renee

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

Nice to know aboput the washability of dupioni.I've washed lots of silks, & it usually does fine, but I washed some shantung awhile back & it became fuzzy & lost its finish = (

FWIW, if you're concerned about marking the fabric, use a pressing cloth.A 12"-18" square of thin, washed muslin works well...

• dayenu
    18 years ago

I use a low setting for the dryer and a low setting for the iron, but I don't hesitate to use steam, Dupioni ravels terribly so make sure you finish all the edges and seams.
    I serge the edges before the first wash too so as not to lose a few inches.

• scryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I was wondering about that. Only problem is that I don't have a serger. I guess I am living in the dark ages!
    Do you think a zig zag stitch would be ok? Maybe I should just buy a serger.
    Mmmm Christmas is going to be here soon!!!!

-renee

• dayenu
    18 years ago

a zig zag is fine, but definitely do something at the edge or you lose too much fabric

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

FWIW, you don't even HAVE to have a zigzag stitch - closely spaced straight stitching 1/8" or so from raw edge will serve the same purpose.

HTH

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop in Franklin County
More Discussions