Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing Machine for Beginner

Posted by vjwarner (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 16:11

I am a looking for a good sewing machine to learn to sew. I have never operated a machine nor have I much experience with sewing by hand.

I am looking for an affordable, durable, easy to use and lightweight machine that I can grow into. My price range is about $150-$300. I figure that I should get a good machine that I can have for a few years and grow into it. I know that I also want the machine to be able to sew through durable fabrics (i.e denim).

I have seen online the Kenmore 19106.... any thoughts? more suggestions?

thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing Machine for Beginner

Go to a dealer, explain your needs, and test drive several...including several brands. For sure, your purchase should be from a dealer as they will offer sewing classes and will be your "go to" for problems/ repairs until you are experienced enough to know your own machine. He can be invaluable when when a glitch arises. I have been sewing for so many years, with various brands, that I can usually diagnose my machines when they have tantrums. Personally, I would choose a Janome, Pfaff, or Brother. I have 3 Brothers--I love sewing on them. The Pfaff has a built in walking foot (IDT), so you won't have to buy the accessory. I also love my 2 Pfaffs. And I have an Elna from early 80's that is still chugging. Start with the best you can afford and it will give you years of sewing pleasure.

o

For a first time sewer, you can't do better than to buy a used machine....you can get so much more machine for the price. Look for vintage 60s and 70s machines including the Singers (back then they were so much better made) and Viking Husqvarna...really great machines. They were made with metal, not plastic and are real work horses. Many of them had fancy stitches as well so look for something that does more than just zig zag as, as you get into sewing, esp if you start working with knits, you'll want stitches that can accommodate those fabrics.

See recent thread on favorite vintage machines....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage machines

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 9:06

o

Thank you both for your input. Sorry it took me a bit to reply. I've been teaching myself to knit and that seemed to take up my week! My mother and sister-in-law both are happy with their Kenmore machines. Any thoughts on that brand?

Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here