Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing with chiffon

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 16:04

What is the beest method for hemming a chiffon scarf? I've tried pressing then stitching...it was OK. then I tried doing a rolled hem on my serger...it looked ok except the stitches were not even. and the hem seemed to pull. I just followed the directions in my manual because I haven't done a rolled hem on the serger before. I also tried the hemmer foot for my sewing machine. That worked but again the stitches pulled the hem so the scarf is not square.

Anyone have any suggestions to make the scarf look professional? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing with chiffon

Hi Kathie, this is me, a two thread rolled hem stitch is preferred for fine, lightweight edge finishes on sheer and lightweight fabrics. Adjust your stitch length to 1.5 or 2 mm setting for soft edge finish. Okay, here's how you start: go with a balanced 2-thread overlock stitch before adjusting your tension. Tighten the needle thread tension dial to eliminate "V's" formed by your needle thread on the underneath side of the fabric. Loosen the looper thread tension dial so that the looper thread rolls around the edge to the upper side of your fabric. I can send you pics of samples so you can see what you need to do if "that" or "this" isn't quite right. Later...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here