Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philanna273

Singer toy sewing machine question

philanna273
16 years ago

Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine model 50D. I was hoping to get some information here. I now have the needle inserted so as to thread from front to back. I had it sewing by just turning the hand wheel without the electric, and it had a nice chain stitch for a few inches and now the thread just lays on top of the fabric. Can't remember how I had the needle inserted when I first started. [senior thing] I can see that the hook isn't picking up the thread. I tried a few adjustments but nothing seems to work. Are there manuals or instruction books for this machine and am I threading it correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Phyllis

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

I have one of those and one of the handcrank ones, but I have them packed up. Have you tried the needle so that it threads from the side. The only other thing I can think of is the needle could be too long or short.
    Your's is cute as a button.
    Susan

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I agree with Susan,it may thread from the sides.That is how it was done way back when.

Hi Susan,how's your mom??
    Kathi

• keepeminstitches
    16 years ago

Hi,

I bought one of these toy Sewhandy Singers (model 50D) at an antique store. Mine has a manual that states that before you begin to thread the machine be sure that the sew lever (the little lever on the right by the "on" button) and the presser bar lifter are down. Raise the needle to its highest position by turning the hand wheel slowly by hand toward the back. Then it says, "Thread the needle from left to right. Pull about three inches of thread through the eye of the needle."

At the back of the manual it says "To change needle: When your needle becomes blunt or bent, change it right away. Loosen the screw and pull out the old needle. Insert a new needle with the flat side toward the left, push it up as far as it will go, and then tighten the screw as shown." It also shows the needle with the notation Cat. 1113, Class 24 x 3, Size 11.

Hope this helps.

Mary

• kayebuck
    16 years ago

I just bought one of these machines at a sale. The manual did not come with it. Does this machin have a bobbin?? How does it work? Any info would be very helpful!!
    Thank you,
    Sharon

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Wow, this brings back memories! I had one as my first sewing machine at about age 7. My mother did not sew at all, except hems, and I taught myself to sew starting on this little machine. It does not use a bobbin and sews a chain stitch. I spent many hours sewing all kinds of things on my toy Singer.

• jeanne_maggard_paintsville_kyschool
    13 years ago

I bought one of these Singer Sew Handy Model 50D sewing machines for my granddaughter. Unfortunately, I need sewing machine needles size 24 x 3 style #1113 and a spool pin. Does anyone know where I can find them? Thanks, Jeanne

• davey64
    12 years ago

You may want to look at page http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/toys/24x3/ which tells all about the 24x3 needle for the Sewhandy 50D and how to use a substitute. I tried it on mine and it works perfectly.

Here is a link that might be useful: singer 24x3 needles

• kylady_six
    9 years ago

I just bought a Sister electric sewing machine, does any one know where I can get a manual. Thanks

• Kim Fredrickson
    9 years ago

I bought a sew handy electric. I am having a little problem getting it to chain stitch. Any offers of help?

• Brenda Youngson
    8 years ago

I also have a Singer Sewhandy 50D. Can anyone help with source for a manual, needles, etc. If a manual isn't available, does anyone that has one be willing to make me a copy? I'd be happy to pay xeroxing and postage costs. Thanks.

• Brenda Youngson
    8 years ago

Thanks bunches!

• jweisser
    6 years ago

I was just given one of these machines from my cousin. I sent for a manual on the website. You can just print it out. When I first got it, it was sewing some, now it won't sew. My manual says to thread the needle left to right. I love my little machine. Searching for more information about it.

• Lydia Marquez
    4 years ago

50 have a

• Lydia Marquez
    4 years ago

Where's the bobbin

• loganhogan
    4 years ago

There's not a bobbin if I remember correctly. It sews a chain stitch.

• Prefer Not2List
    6 months ago

There is no bobbin to this little machine. It makes a chain stitch. In order to do this there is a lever underneath the catches the thread. The way it is designed the lever hits the needle and eventually over time the needle form a permanent bend. This will prevent it from catching the thread. What you need to do at this point is to replace the needle. The 24x3 is no longer manufactured. You can order a 24 x1 which is the replacement the size 11 works best. Remember that the flat part of the substitute is on the opposite side from the original 24 x3.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource