Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Finished Snow White Costume

Posted by lindasewandsew (lindasewandsew@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 15:56

I finished this Snow White costume for DGD. She looks really cute in it. The dress fabric is a 'suede look' fabric from JoAnns. The slip is white linen with battenburg lace. We're lucky enough around LA to find this kind of stuff at swap meets and in the downtown garment district. The collar and cape are attached to a 'vest' inside the dress, so she can play in the dress without those parts. It's time to start the 2 dwarfs. Linda

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Finished Snow White Costume

WOW! Beautiful attention to detail!

Annie


 o
RE: Finished Snow White Costume

Oh, how adorable! We'd love to see a photo of her in the costume!

Teresa


 o
RE: Finished Snow White Costume

It is beautiful.
Susan


 o
RE: Finished Snow White Costume

Wow is all I can say.....can you show us the dress without the vest attachment....I'm just curious. The fabrics are fantastic. Take pictures of Snow White and the Dwarfs please and post them. I'd love to see them all dressed up. Again my compliments...great job!


 o
RE: Finished Snow White Costume

Thank you for the nice comments. Here is the dress and the vest. There's a zipper in the back of the dress, which made it difficult to add the collar and cape directly onto the dress. The vest is cut out of the same pattern as the dress (Simplicity 4764, girl's size 5), so the neck and sleeve parts match up. The vest fabric is inside out, so when worn, it looks like lining inside the dress. The collar is sewn onto the vest. The cape is gathered and stitched to the back of the collar. There is Velcro on the neck part of the vest, under the arms, and on the front where it matches up to the dress waistline. That keeps the weight of the cape from pulling it towards the back. I'm no tailor, so have to use patterns, but can make up some stuff as I go along. There is no collar on the pattern, and I never made a stand up collar before, so had a little trouble getting the shape right. The sleeves looked too small when cut out, so I cut larger ones, maybe adding an inch or two all the way around the pattern. I added an old pair of shoulder pads inside them. The teardrops on the sleeves were made by making little teardrop shaped 'pillows', with some thin red fabric for the back side, cutting a hole in the back, then turning them rightside out. It makes for a great applique even if you're not an expert at it (which I'm not). Hope this makes sense. Linda

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here