Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepeminstitches

Project Runway

keepeminstitches
15 years ago

Does anyone in the forum watch Project Runway on tv? I cannot believe the contestants truly make those garments within the time constraints they work under. If so, surely the construction must be less than couture! Or they aren't really draping/sewing them in just two days...Any opinions?

PS I LOVE the show, but just have doubts about the methodology.

Mary

Comments (5)

• Glitter53
    15 years ago

I, too love that show and have wondered the same thing. However, I'm thinking that they work so far into the nights that it might be quite possible to design and sew the garments that way. Not MY cuppa, lol, but they seem to get the job done in most cases.....I doubt they have any help...

• salena
    15 years ago

I'm sure they sew the whole garment themselves, but I wish they would show MORE of it up close. I'm in awe if it all and would like to see it in more detail. I sew, but only by patterns !! Salena

• theturtlelady
    15 years ago

I know they sew them themselves. I live here in NYC and have looked up the curriculum at both Parsons and F.I.T. and the design degree includes classes in tailoring, patternmaking, fitting, sketching, the whole works. I'd kill to take those sewing and patternmaking classes, but no, you have to submit drawings of your ideas to get in, sign up for the degree, and pay the freight for the entire thing, which is way out of reach.

There are boutiques here where the owner makes all the clothes that are for sale in the store because they don't have the money to hire someone else to do the sewing, so when you watch Project Runway, believe what you see!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I'm a big PR fan and love to see the designs that result from these designers. This past season I was at first doubting the talent of the group, but the finale proved that the right designers made it to the final three.

If you watch the reruns, one of Korto's last minute dresses had a very messy hemline, but I think that was one that she shortened to a short dress and it looked great on the runway. Some of the designers definitely have more construction and finishing skills than others. It's probably a good thing that the judges do not examine the clothes up close.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I love the shows and an Internet friend of mine, actually was interviewed for this season. They didn't select her but she was one of the finalists. I think that the sewing is not coture but they do the best they can with the time restraints...

The contestants have to arrive in NYC with clothes that they have actually made so that they can be judged for acceptance for the show. I told my friend that she wouldn't get on because she wasn't weird enough..I told her to adopt some kind of weird persona and she'd probably be selected for the show..

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets