Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelmalee_gw

What do you do with your serger??

thelmalee
17 years ago

I am considering buying a serger. Please tell me what you do with yours. I only know about overcasting seams. What are some of the things you can do with a serger? Thanks to everyone who responds.

Comments (32)

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Of course i overcast the seams,and it's great for sewing things like t-shirts,swimwear,lingerie,napkins,tablerunners.I also have the elasticator for mine so it makes it easy to insert elastic.

I've also serged miles of chain and then used it to decorate the outside of garments,making flowers,or other kinds of trims.

There are several good books out there on how to be creative with it.I don't know how i ever lived without mine,and mine is over 20 years old.
    Kathi

PS, since i'm a cross stitcher as well,i use it to serge the edges of my cross stitch fabric so it doesn't ravel while i work on it.HTH

• chelone
    17 years ago

This is a great question!

I own a Willcox&Gibbs 5 thread overlock. This means that it will deliver the 2-thread "safety" stitch, in addition to a 3 thread overlock. It was a production machine "back in the day" (mid '80s) but without automatic, pneumatic "trimmers" it couldn't hope to "compete" with what's new off the assembly line these days.

I use my overlock machine primarily for clean finishing "raw" seam allowances. I frequently use it make swimwear, as the 3 thread overlock and differential feed is ideally suited to that purpose. Only rarely do I ever use the "safety stitch"... it's a quick, "cheap" finish that my customers don't want. For the most part, I don't "do" production work. Unless the money is too good to pass by, and that's only for very small "runs".

I LOVE having it, mind you! For my own, personal use it accords me wonderful opportunity. But as one who works professionally in the "needle trades"? the only way I really USE it routinely is as a machine to clean finish a raw edge.

But after my years in the "line", no way would I ever buy a "home" serger. No way; they're overpriced for questionable quality and offer little versatility. I'd buy used industrial machinery before I bought "new" "home" stuff. JMO

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I do what the others have stated as well as using wolly nylon in the loopers to put a decorative finish on blankets (fleece and flannel receiving blankets).
    Good Luck,
    Susan

• joansews4u
    17 years ago

So much I couldn't survive without one. Take my stove but leave my electric skillets & crock pots & I could survive, but don't take my serger.

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

I use it to trim and finish seams, finish facing edges, and finish the hem edge before I hem something (nice flat hem and save on hem tape the end result). I've had this serger since February and haven't got to the other items.

• colleenny
    17 years ago

Some of the newer sergers have a "cover stitch" which can be used for hemming. Colleen

• movingwest
    17 years ago

i use it to almost entirely construct a garment. rolled hems are heavenly with specialized decorative threads. and everything is neat and tidy.

• keepeminstitches
    17 years ago

I make square dance outfits and use the rolled hem feature to finish yards and yards of ruffle, using wooly nylon in the lower looper. I also use the 4-thread overlock to attach the ruffle to the gores (haven't the courage/skill to use the differential to gather the ruffle directly onto the skirt, so I use my sewing machine's ruffler, then machine baste, then serge it). I also use it to attach the waistband casing to the skirt and pretty much do the entire blouse on the serger. I love the cover stitch for hemming sportswear. On nice garments, I will finish each seam allowance on the serger before sewing the pieces together on my regular sewing machine. If it's a more casual garment, I'll sew the seam and finish it in one step using the four-thread overlock. I have all the fancy feet for putting pearls on, etc., but have not yet used them. I'm sure I'll think of other applications as soon as I submit this!

Mary

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I sold mine. After the thread came out and I couldn't get it rethreaded I gave up.

• greta1027
    17 years ago

I have a serger that has never been out of the box. HELP!! I have been sewing for 40+ years and want to go to the next level but don't know how to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought the serger and everything went fine until I had to rethread. I will probably have to take it back today for the saleslady to show me how again. I made a dress almost entirely with the serger. Really enjoyed it until now!!!

Thanks to all of you who posted response to my question

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

If you have a digital camera that also takes movies, try and take one of it being threaded. I wish I'd had one.

• movingwest
    17 years ago

the first thing one should do w a serger is unthread it and thread it about a dozen times. then you wont be afraid.

• keepeminstitches
    17 years ago

And remember to keep pins well away from the blades. I pin way far to the left of the seam line.

• trishia64
    17 years ago

I took the plunge to buy a serger about 2-3 years ago. I do mostly home dec sewing and use my machine quite a bit for seaming. Also, when working on very loosely woven fabric, I finish the edges as soon as I cut them to reduce threads on myself and the floor. Just yesterday I was playing with using the serger for decorative stitching and I'm thrilled with the results. I would highly recommend a book called "Serger Secrets" if you want to know what you can do with your serger. I had that and my owner's manual by my side yesterday while I was experimenting. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Serger Secrets book

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

When I got my serger, my experienced sewing buddy made me thread the machine several times while she looked on. At the time I think I was a little peeved at this exercise, but now I am so glad she did this, 'cause she moved to Florida and I can thread my machine myself!

I got my Brother serger on sale and finished 50 large tablecloths my sister wanted to give the high school choral group for their banquets. That job paid for the serger. I like to sew linen dresses for myself to wear to work, so I use the serger first to finish all the raw edges. I just wish I had more time to play with my serger.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Greta,
    Get that serger out of the box,set it up read the manual from cover to cover,then read it again.Now sit in front of your serger and follow the directions in the book to the letter .It will seem like a daunting task at first,but believe me,you can do it,and then you'll kick yourself for not having had the courage sooner.Most sergers are color coded so it makes threading easier.Then once you learn how to thread it,you can move on to just tying on when you change threads,instead of going thru the whole threading process.However it is VERY IMPORTANT that you do know how to thread it.

Did it come with a video,if so watch that a few times also.
    OK so what are you waiting for,get that thing going ,or else i'm gonna come and pick it up!! Mines over 20 years old,so i could use a new one.LOL LOL

Seriously,get it out of the box and practice.
    Let us know if we can help.
    Kathi

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

Oh hey FYI - here's a tip for re-threading overlocks/sergers:

Simply tie the new threads to the old & then pull them through as far as they will go - which is often all the way to the needle. I was taught to use a tailor's knot....

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Since I bought my serger I have learned a lot. Please don't be afraid of threading them. After I took it back to the dealer again I finally found the one eye on the bottom looper I was missing and now have no problems threading. You just have to know where all the "eyes" you have to go through are. It helps if you start with the bottom threads and work up. I am so glad I didn't try to get one over the internet as I had planned. You really need someone to help you learn to use it. I have a wonderful dealer here in east central Alabama. I made a halloween outfit for my grand daughter and just used the rolled hem instead of facings around the neck and rolled the sleeves and pants legs. Since this was a costume it didn't make that much difference.

• lynda_roses
    17 years ago

I have a Baby Lock eclipse Special Edition SX. I found an easier way to thread it ... well without buying the new push button air self-threading model. Yes, they have that. I took a class for $20 to learn how to use the serger -- worth every penny and more. I can sew zippers on with the serger, make cording, make clothes, quilt with it (prefer not to -- I'm a quilter and I prefer my machine), serge edges -- knew that, other techniques. I also have played with it and taught myself other techniques. I do have a serger book I bought and I am going to learn from that.

• juderae
    15 years ago

i am thinking about purchasing a new serger. I have never had one before and have a small upholstery business. I have been hearing different people tell me which brand is best and everyone has different opinions. Do you think they are worth having and what brand is good? I am thinking of the Janome MyLock 634D serger....I don't want to spend a boat load of money for something that may sit and collect dust like exercise equipment. HELP

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

Having small drapery shop at home and commercial Juki', I go nuts every time thread breaks. It isn't that often but it takes me almost an hour to thread it right.
    I use mine for almost all seems on my projects, including alterations. I can't imagine life without serger.
    Can you imagine that someone had to come up w/ the concept and putting it together?. And if you don't thread it right, it won't sew. It blows my ming.

• gram999
    15 years ago

I have a Bernina 2000DE. I had an earlier model & traded it in because this was supposed to adjust the different stitches with a turn of the dial. You still have to fiddle with it due to the type of fabric, thickness, etc. When I'm in a sewing mood, I use it more than I do my sewing machine. I don't sew fancy clothes, so I sew all my seams with the serger, finish edges of hems, facings, etc. To use it to sew seams, serge & try & pull the seam apart. You may have to tighten the needle threads if the seam isn't tight.

When you have a free day, practice, practice, practice. Threading is really easy with the color coded machines. Serge all the stitches on different kinds of fabrics & keep the samples & document your settings. Use different types of decorative threads. That's the fun part. Try all your stitches with the differential feed settings. That is one feature I absolutely love. I love to sew with fleece & you need it to keep the seams from stretching out & becoming wavy.

Before you sew anything, test your settings by sewing the fabric on the crosswise & lengthwise grain. Make a note of the adjustments.

Your library should have books & videos on serging. I have several & refer to them all the time when I want to play around & try something new. Some good authors are Naomi Baker, Tammy Young, Gail Brown & Nancy Zeiman. Read the troubleshooting section & learn how to fix any problems you have. If you get frazzled, you won't use it. A serger can be your best friend.

If you haven't bought one yet, do as someone suggested & take the class. I learned how to sew elastic on, insert ribbon & all kinds of neat things. They're too expensive to leave in a box.

Those of you who said you aren't using your serger, let us know if you give it a try & have success.

• juderae
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for all your feedback..I really appreciate it..as far as Upholstery you're right you really don't need it for that....so with your feedback I may just hold off for now.

• budster
    15 years ago

Oh the great "how to rethread" fear. Seriously, you can do it, I know! I received my serger 20 years ago now for Christmas.....I tried, and tried and rethreaded and the stitch just wouldn't form, the sales clerks thought "Oh boy here she comes again".....I kept going back, and getting them to show me how..they didn't understand the problems I was having...then HELLO..I took the machine back, right to the head salesperson in the sewing department and guess what, it didn't work for her either. She changed the needles and hello.....perfect stitch, the salesmen from Pfaff came out and even had a look...nothing wrong with the machine, just the needles got bent somewhere along the line.....and my machine has worked extremely well since.....I kept rethreading and learning my machine before we moved away and found myself quite comfortable using the machine and all operations. I kept going back and asking for help, sure I think they got sick of seeing me, but I got the help I needed and I acknowledged the time and effort the salesgirls took in helping me.

• juderae
    15 years ago

With all of your responses I ask.....would a home serger machine like a Janome work well with a medium weighted fabric vs spending thousands on a commercial machine. If I could spend $350 it's a little easier on my pocketbook with these hard times.

• gram999
    15 years ago

Yes, definitely. You won't have a problem at all.

Check Craig's List in your area before you buy new. Make sure you can try it out before you buy & they have the instruction book. If no instructions, you may be able to get them online. If you save enough money, you can afford it.

• juderae
    15 years ago

Hi Thank you for your response. I did check Craig's list but didn't really see anything..I found the Janome Serger for $350 new on a website and was told it's a good machine. So I was thinking about sending for it....but I may just keep looking on Craigs list...for a bit.

I did contact a local store and he would sell me a Janome for $350 but it is a lower model then the one I can buy online which was a better model...and I bought from this guy before and really don't trust him....so that's out.
    But Thanks for responding.....

• gram999
    15 years ago

You're welcome. I know it's hard to wait for something when you really want it, but I've gotten a lot of good deals on Craig's List. I just bought a sewing machine for my 12 year old granddaughter for $40. It's a Montgomery Wards, but has lots of stitches, so I'm sure it will be a really good starter model. I haven't picked it up yet.

Everyone wants to make a sale nowadays. Maybe if you print off the price you're getting online, you can persuade a different local dealer to give you the same price if you show them the ad. That way you can go to them if you have problems. I had free lessons with mine.

You won't regret buying one.

• juderae
    15 years ago

Thank You so much......I think I am going to get one then....I have another question

Does anyone know the best way to shave down the back of a leather piece? My father and I are restoring an antique car and the leather is too thick so he has been shaving it with a razor blade and it is painstakingly slow. There has to be a better method to complete this task. If anyone knows can you please let me know.

• aleta2479_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just finished 120 double sided, rolled-hem placemats and napkins to match for Christmas presents. What a HUGE job!!!...and expensive---but my Baby Lock Imagine was a CADILLAC!! I just purchased it and am THRILLED...but I sure would want to find OTHER projects. I agree with another poster: PRACTICE threading and how to hold the tweezers and it is nothing. However, the self-threader I have is fabulous!! I have had two machines...an Elna and now the Baby Lock. Giving the Elna to a daughter.