Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobby_libby

Airline rules for scissors?

hobby_libby
13 years ago

I have this printed off from http://www.airsafe.com/danger.htm, but something confuses me -

Cutting Instruments: Carpet knives and box cutters (and spare blades), any device with a folding or retractable blade, ice picks, straight razors, and metal scissors with pointed tips, are only allowed in checked baggage. Small scissors with a cutting edge less than four inches (10 cm) are allowed in the cabin.

OK, so the scissors have to be blunt\-tip. But they still can't be the folding type? Does anyone know for sure? I may "fly south for the winter", vs driving. And I get bored on the plane so I'll prob take along some sort of sewing craft. Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Comments (7)

• posieh
    13 years ago

Last time I flew they took my manicure sissors! Durn....I liked them too, and they definitely had less than a four inch cutting blade. Probably be safe and keep them in your baggage.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Were they blunt or sharp-tip?

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I think I'd forgo traveling with any kind of scissors and take some reading material or crossword puzzles. I'd hate to have a good pair of scissors confiscated.

just think of the reason for these restrictions and be grateful they are in place.

Just my opinion.

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a wonder pencils & pens haven't been deemed as weapons! lol

OK, so we may be driving vs flying.

Thanks you two!

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

I flew to CA on American in September. I had a redwork project with tiny embroidery scissors in my carry on. I also had one of those tiny swiss army type knife, you know the ones with the scissors, knife blade, nail file, toothpick all in a less than 2 inch size. The screener spotted it and had my bag pulled for search. As I watched I said I thought the scissors were ok, he said they are, this is something else and proceeded to find the knife and confiscate it. I had carried the thing for years and just never even thought about it. He offered for me to take the knife, go somewhere in the terminal and mail it to myself. I would have missed my plane so I said you keep it. Now the points on the scissors are longer than the blade on the knife....At most I could make a 1 inch deep wound with the thing! I still have the scissors but the knife is gone. Go figure! I guess they have to do what they have to do. Didn't the 9/11 hijackers use a plastic knife?
    There is no telling what the TSA screeners are gonna pick up on....my advice take a cheap pair of embroidery scissors for your project. Maybe find some at the dollar store. If they take them away, no big loss at least. I would have been plenty upset if I had lost my embroidery scissors.
    I fly at least 3- 4 times a year and this is the first time that knife has caused a problem.
    Good luck!
    Murphy

• msmeow
    13 years ago

There was a big discussion of this on the Quiltville Chat Yahoo group recently. Most of the ladies said they had no trouble flying with a small pair of round-nosed scissors.

I have used a dental floss holder...it cuts thread quite nicely and shouldn't be confiscated.

Donna

• hobby_libby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, a dental floss holder with built-in cutter! That's a great idea for anytime, anywhere! Thanks!

Murphy,
    I like dollar stores. I bought a pair of Fiskars 'pointed tip' (what a laugh, they're rounded, just not snubbed/blunted) 5" kids scissors the other day at one & now keep them in the car with the emergency sewing kits. :-)