Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plot_thickens

Which machine should I buy?

plot_thickens
16 years ago

My old Simplicity gave out. Well, I think my patience with it gave out. Putting down a correct seam only half the time makes me really wish I live in a skyscraper so I could launch it out the window. So -- time for a new machine!

What should I get? I sew heavy duty fabrics regularly - hemming jeans, canvas, duck. And I do chiffon too. And I'm utterly entranced with hemming feet, what a benefit that would be! What machine / model do you recommend?

Comments (16)

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

I'd look around at the dealers near you. The top brands are Bernina, Pfaff, Viking (I'm a Viking person myself). If you aren't interested in embroidery and want a sewing only machine, it won't be as expensive.

Do you want a brand new machine? Or would a used one (with a warranty from the dealer) work?

My older Viking (6460) has a low gear feature that is great for sewing heavy fabrics (denim, canvas, sunbrella, upholstery fabrics), but not so great for delicates like chiffon (have to use tissue paper).

My new Viking Designer SE has diamond feed dogs that don't hurt delicate fabrics - also there is a plethora of feet (including hemming, binding, elastic, cording, gathering) that can work with it.

So, I'd first look for a good dealer because there will be questions and issues with any new machine. Once you have a good dealer, talk to them, take samples of the kinds of fabric you sew on, and try out as many machines as it takes.

Don't rush into a decision. Buying a sewing machine is very personal and you want the one that is right for you and the sewing you do.

Hope you'll keep us posted on your decision.

• plot_thickens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the excellent advice, Zone 8 Grandma. I want a brand-new one, as I've seen other folks get burnt with refurbished machines.

Since I work regular hours, I'll have to go see a dealer on the weekend. So, can I ask...why aren't Singers discussed very much?

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Ahhh Singers. Singers made pre 1950-1960 have a very good reputation. I have quite a few old Singers (1890, 1910, and my Featherweight is a 1935 model) and they still sew beautifully. But of course, the old machines don't have the features of the newer ones.

But Singers made after that have a poor history. (I purchased a new Singer in 1967 - it gave me nothing but trouble and in 1978 I traded it in for a Viking). Sad to say that the quality just has suffered. I don't know the whole story, but it seems that around 1950-1960, Singer lost the focus on quality.

If you want to visit dealers in the evenings, you might give them a call - some are open late (mine is open until 9:00pm)

• budster
    16 years ago

I have a Singer purchased new around l969 that still works wonderfully. Some Singers from the 60's and 70's might be junk...but alot still held up to their great reputation. So I beg to differ ....... yes the new Singers appear to have lost fans but even machines made in the 50's, 60's and 70's have stood the test of time. I would not purchase one of the new ones however as they just don't seem to have that many fans out there. IMHO...sorry zone8 Grandma.....Budster

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

No need to apologize, budster. Most sewists have opinions on sewing machines.

It's a moot point, since PT has already indicated a decision to purchase a new machine...

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

I love Bernina. Have used the same machine for 22 years and it has never been in the shop. It has been heavily used. Just completed over 60 t-shirt dresses for a humanitarian project. I also have two of their sergers. Good equipment.

• dizzyhal68
    16 years ago

PT Sounds as if your machine only needs a tune up,good machines last a lifetime somewhere you hit a button,heavy seam,and knocked your machine out of whack,or you have threaded incorectly,no,dont get mad plenty of people do it all the time,another one needle in backwards.please check these things first,if you still want to get rid of machine
    I rebuild and sell machines to help the Seniors who are only living on S.S.in my area,any help would be appreciated
    if you have friends who have a machine to donate Please ask them to Email me Thanks Harold gldnagr@otelco.net

• plot_thickens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, it's been blowing seams with knots and snapping thread since the day I brought it home. I finally have enough money to get a "good machine" (which Simplicity's cheapest model IS NOT), so I will. I promise you, Harold, I'm not incompetant re: machine maintenance.

Unless you're in the SF Bay Area, I'll be putting it up on freecycle, with full disclaimer that it's a hunk of junk. Better than letting it get fobbed off on someone who really needs one.

• dizzyhal68
    16 years ago

Didnt mean to upset you but we all make mistakes in threading machines,seen it time and time again a great seamstress with a needle in backwards,or missing the tension disc on tension,was not a slur on your inteligence
    but a simple fact,hope your day goes well. Harold

• philanna273
    16 years ago

I have a 1935 Singer 201 black straight stitch machine and I wouldn't give it up for a brand new Singer no way! I have been sewing with this machine for over 25 years and it's the best machine Singer ever made. Of course that's just my opinion. Good luck! Philanna

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago

I have had my Pfaff 1471 since the '70's. When I last took it for cleaning the repairman said Pfaff has always had the finest machines, especially the 1400 series. I agree since I've only had two repairs on it in all that time (replaced the auto needle threader and the foot pedal) besides having it cleaned every 3 or 4 years and adjusting the timing. You might think about calling a sewing repairman and see if he/she has used Pfaff machines to sell (make sure he/she is an authorized Pfaff repairman, not everyone can take care of these complex machines). Buying a new Pfaff could cost a couple thousand but a used one might be just a couple hundred.

BTW I've made sailboat sails, done upholstery work, quilting, and all types of clothing on this machine, including about 30 wedding dresses. It can handle everything from tissue silk to swim wear knits to denim jeans. Its built-in walking foot (now called an IDT) is its best feature, in my opinion. I have rarely used the embroidery stitches but the automatic buttonhole settings have gotten a lot of use over the years. It came with 10 or so feet and I have used all of them, to the point that I don't use my serger very much since the overcast foot does about the same edge binding stitch very nicely. Blind stitched and rolled hems are a breeze, and the "needle always down" button gets lots of use on curves.

It seems to me that the latest model sewing machines are geared towards machine embroidery. That was never anything I wanted to get into - I just want to sew things together, not embellish them with thread, so a new machine holds no fascination for me, as my old Pfaff does everything I need it to do.

• leatherdeb419
    16 years ago

Buy a Viking!! Don't think twice about it! They are absolutely the best machines. I have a #1+ since 1998..I sew for a living, doing custom leather clothing, custom slipovers and high end drapery treatments, purses, etc. This machine is a true workhorse. I've never had any problems with it. My sister in law has a professional embroidery business and started out with the same machine until she had to buy the big, big industrial embroidery units. BUY A VIKING! They're expensive, but very much worth it!

• chris76
    16 years ago

I'd say "buy a Viking", but look at Bernina and Pfaff as well. All three have good entry-level machines that will give you quality without having to spend thousands of dollars. As for Singer, I haven't heard much good about them lately, and a lady in a sewing class I took recently had a brand-new Singer that gave her nothing but trouble. Furthermore, Singer has just been purchased by Husqvarna, which makes Viking and Pfaff machines. Singer will now be moved down-line...so that probably doesn't bode well for their level of quality.

• anitastitch
    16 years ago

I'm a Viking Fan also. I think they're phasing out the Scandinavian and Platinum lines, which could mean for better prices. I have a Platinum 750Q and my mom has the Scandinavian 100, and we're both very happy with them. Only down-side to Vikings in my opinion is that accessories for them can be kind of steep--but I'm sure it's that way with Berninas and Pfaff's too. I think out of those 3 brands, Vikings are the least expensive. But as others have said, shop around and do some test drives. And hopefully buy from a dealer who will give you lessons on the machine.

Happy shopping!

• esspee
    16 years ago

Can I put in a word for Babylock. I bought one brand new (Esante) a couple of months ago and I just love it. It does whatever I ask it to do. The most amazing part for me, after struggling with an old cheap Kenmore for years, is the bobbin just drops in and never jams.
    It comes with all the accessories such as walking foot, blind hem etc. so there's nothing I had to buy extra.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I'm also a Viking fan - started with a 450 that my niece has now and bought my Quilt Designer a few years ago. If i really "needed" another machine (I have 3 older Singers, a serger, and the Viking) I would get a Viking in a heartbeat. My quilting buddies sew even more than I do and they have Bernina, Pfaff, and Babylock machines. So I can recommend those brands because of my friends experiences with them.

A new model of any of these brands is going to be expensive. I would suggest you ask any dealer about "gently used" machines that have been repaired/tuned-up for resale. Also ask about a warranty for used machines; an excellent dealer will warranty their repairs because they want you as a repeat customer when you are ready to trade up.