Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasiaw_gw

Who has a Morse Fotomatic?

kasiaw
18 years ago

Some twelve years ago, a friend gave me a sewing machine. It was a hand-me-down and she didn't sew, but she knew I did. The machine was Morse Fotomatic model 4300, a brand that I had never heard about. Neither has anybody I know. So I'm curious whether anybody out there has a Morse Fotomatic or has seen one before.

By the way, the machine is a workhorse.

Kasia

Comments (34)

• gerizone5
    18 years ago

Sounds like a camera!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

RC - that's a nifty site! Thanks for linking it - I bookmarked it.I have several old (30s,40s,50s) Singers.

The pink machine (what brand?) on their homepage looks so cool......

& the Morse looks pretty cool as well = )

• lorettaj
    17 years ago

Hi,

I don't know if you are still interested but I have had two of the Morse Fotomatic III. I love the machine. My girlfirend got one for high school gradutaion in 1966 and I wanted one every since. I finally got my first used one in 1970. I then bought another one for my mother. If you would like to email please do. lottiebond@gmail.com

Lorettaj

• sandra_txn8tv
    16 years ago

My mom just purchased one in almost pristine condition with all the attachments, accessories and HUGE cabinet for only $35 at our local Salvation Army! She loves it and I can't wait to get my turn at it! If anyone has any information or helpful hints please email me! Thanks!
    Sandra
    txnative212@msn.com

• merle05
    16 years ago

I have this machine but I don't sew or know how to use it. It was given to me brand new many, many years ago. I had been told by friends that sew that it is a great machine and has lots of features on it.

I don't even know how to get rid of it or what to do with it. Anyone interested or have thoughts on how I could unload it?

Thanks,
    Ann

• hotplants
    16 years ago

Ann, I'm interested in your machine!! I'm trying to replace a Morse fotomatic. Which version do you have?
    Or does anyone out there know where I can find a morse fotomatic 4300, 4400, or 6400? Would love to here from you, or anyone else who knows about these machines.
    Thanks,
    jacq

• lovr4grdn
    16 years ago

Also looking for a Morse fotomatic 4400,
    great machine mine is broken and having a heck of a time finding a part, has anyone found a place to buy parts? These are great machines, if anyone is parting out a 4400 I would like to here from you.
    Thankyou
    Nancy

• ritalou21
    16 years ago

Does anyone have an extra owners manual for a Morse Fotomatic IV?

• merle05
    15 years ago

I am so sorry about not replying sooner. I forgot all about this site and just found it again.

I have a 4300 model.

• badgerbob
    15 years ago

www.morseinternational.net, is the name of company's site. They're in business since 1948, when Mr. Philip S. Morse began designing his machines. The Fotomatic's were made at the Toyota factory in Nagoya, Japan, and the manual talks extensively about the quality and pride that went into the machines. And I know, from experience, that good things are made from heavy stuff and boy, is our Morse heavy. My wife loves hers: we bought it for $27 at a GoodWill store in NEW condition. If you want to know more, the company's website does contain an email address as well as a phone number.

• kalanianiole
    15 years ago

I bought a Morse Fotomatic III (with manual) at Goodwill for $11. The foot & feeder plate is for zigzag. My question is about the use of a double needle. The manual explains threading but nothing about the bobbin. One needle strikes the bobbin case. What's wrong?

• cheryl_miss_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I am trying to find a Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 that I lost in 2000 in Phoenix when my then husband didn't pay our storage bill. It was my mother's and the one on which I learned to sew. Not trying to buy it back, though I'm interested in that too. Just trying to see where it ended up and hope someone is enjoying it.

• Lewissvtx5_aol_com
    13 years ago

Just bid on a Morse Fotomatic II on Ebay and won. I did some research about these machines and when I tried it the machine ran beautifully. I did have to purchase a new standard belt for it. What I don't know is exactly when it was made..I'm thinking the 1950's. Mine was made at the Toyota factory in Japan. It has an external motor which seems in fine shape. All metal construction its HEAVY...at least 45 pounds. I really sews beautifully and whats nice is it uses standard class 15 bobbins and regular 15 x 1 needles. I love the machine. A real fine example of great engineering. I believe it was called Fotomatic because the user could SEE the stitch selection in a small window and also the stitch width as well in another window...visual like photographs.

• imanialante7_att_net
    12 years ago

We moved into a house that had a pretty new Morse Fotomatoc IV Model #4400. The machine works great. If anyone is interested, feel free to email me and I will sell it to them. I know how to sew, but my life doesnt allow the time anymore.

• monkeydance
    12 years ago

This forum is pretty old, but I just brought a morris 4400 on ebay. The name of the seller is Richard@231-328-4353. I have been searching and searching about information on this machine. Haven't received it yet, but from my research I'm pretty excited. I never heard of a morris/toyota sewing machine, and buying used/vintage item made me nervous. But here you go, enjoy.

• gshow770
    12 years ago

I have one. I inherited from my grandmother who passed away last year. She loved to sew. Its crazy because I am the only one who said I wanted her sewing machine. I thought it was very important to keep it in the family. I do my sewing by hand but plan on taking a class on how to use a sewing machine when I have time, hopefully next summer.

• kristenk13
    11 years ago

I am also interested in purchasing a Morse Fotomatic IV. Please contact me if you are interested in selling - Kristen - Kristenekrauter@gmail.com

• amandacurtis43
    8 years ago

Morse zig zag model 4300 fotomatic II!!!!! I have found model III and so on but no II!??? Anyone know how much this is worth or how to find out!? It is in almost mint condition even still has the original sewing needle in the unopened package under the machine ...

• shadylady2u
    8 years ago

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If I had to put a price on it, I'd say around $25.

• Jesenia
    8 years ago

I also have one to sell. Online they go for $160. They are very heavy so if your buyer isn't local then shipping will make it more. Let me know if anyone in FL is interested and I'll sell. =)

• valerie_k_atilano
    8 years ago

Yes I have one and I'm selling mine if anyone is interested

• Dana Krohn
    8 years ago

Valerie do you have this still? What's model # , price you want and location?

• Michael Warren
    6 years ago

I had purchased a new sewing machine. ? Not sure what kind it was. My roommate stole it; so I took her's when I left. I think she probably stole it from someone else. I am a very new novice at sewing. The machine was a morse fotomatic II 4300. Still in its case. Not sure if i should keep it or not. Mine had cost $250.

• Jasmine Harris
    6 years ago

I have a Morse Fotomatic IV built-in Cam Automatic Machine Model 4400.

Attached to sewing table with original Instruction Manual. If interested, Email me at

jsweekly89@gmail.com

• Stefan Slaw
    6 years ago

I have a Morse 4300. I wanted an LED light bulb. I got one but I had to make it fit.

I bought a package of 4 Westinghouse 15W LEDs rated at 1.5 Watts and T7 shaped from Home Depot.

I found a set of candelabra base cool bright or other Xmas lights at Walmart.

Smash the bulb glass of the cool bright bulb.

Remove enough glass to form a brass base into the shape of a top hat with a small brim.

Remove all the wires glass and potting compound from the candelabra brass base to make the top hat shape.

Solder a copper wire onto the center conductor of the Westinghouse LED bulb.

Remove the solder on the center conductor of the cool bright bulb. Make sure you can feed the copper wire through it.

File or sand the bottom outside rim of the Westinghouse intermediate base until you see brass. Go all the way around that bottom rim/edge.

Dry fit the small base onto the intermediate base and center the base.

Refit the smaller base and solder the two together at the base all the way around and solder the new copper wire center conductor. Cut off any excess.

You now have a 2.5" long LED light that is 2-3x brighter than a Morse bulb.

You solder the base all the way around the brim of the top hat so it can be removed later, if needed.

Screw your LED in and turn on your new LED Morse bulb. It is way brighter. 60 lumens.

OK. It hangs down slightly below the light house bottom edge but who cares?

HTH,

Stefan

• Larry Walden
    6 years ago

Morse was made by Toyota. Yes, the car people. I have a brand new 4300 never used plus some others.

• debby_1
    5 years ago

Will this machine sew though layers of vinyl and leather?

• shadylady2u
    5 years ago

I'm not familiar with that machine except for reading about it on here, but for the most part (at least with the older machines), if you can fit it under the foot, should sew thru. I'd put at least a #16 or even a #18 needle in.

• Tera Langshaw
    5 years ago

I've been struggling trying to find the bobbin winder wheel for my Morse 4300. What the heck is the correct size? I've ordered Standard #15287, 1/4" thick, 9/16" inside diameter, 1-1/8" outside diameter. It was too "skinny" and wasn't picking up any movement from the larger one to make it spin. Any ideas???

• petalique
    5 years ago

Tera, I have several Morse sewing machines. I think a standard bobbin tire should work.

So, if I understand you you're saying that you tried a standard Bob and tire and it wasn't making contact with the balance wheel drive? Did you keep the old one to compare?

Here is is a link you might find helpful:

http://www.japaneseclass15.com/2018/07/02/morse-4300-a-very-cool-vintage-sewing-machine/

And another thing are you sure that you have pressed the metal tab to engage the bobbin tire?

HTH

• HU-744851523
    5 years ago

There is some info @ the company at Needlebar.org the url MorseInternational.net is not online. The company was found to be in violation of laws regarding the proper labeling of manufacturing origin which seems to have sealed its fate.

• Amelia Nieto
    4 years ago

Have Morse Fotomatic 4400

• HU-99760195
    4 years ago

I have a few 4300's (a couple had issues when I got them and will now become donor machines) and all I can say is, they're TANKS!! These are workhorses, and reliable. Yes, they sew through leather and vinyl, and are a must for upholstery work - and I haven't had any issues sewing delicate fabrics. I'm a fan and just bought a 1000 to be able to do stretch stitch.